Heated seat wiring

p6raf

T6 Pro
My van had heated seats but having had to change them, long story, the replacements are not. I've bought heating elements which are now fitted. All that's left to do is wire them in. Attached is the original plug. Can someone tell me which is the live? Also the generic elements do not have an earth wire. What should I do with the earth in the original connector? I think its probably wise to add an additional inline fuse, any recommendations on what ampage?

20220526_205435.jpg

Last edited:
How can they not have a negative connection. No current will flow through them.

There are full wiring diagrams in the download section but a rough guess on wires would be brown-ve, grey +ve and yellow is temperature probe. I very much doubt it will work with non OEM seat pads.

Last edited:
How can they not have a negative connection. No current will flow through
Lost me there I'm afraid. The original connector has 3 pins. I was guessing the green/yellow was earth, leaving the brown and grey. If I knew which is live the other had to be neutral. (I'm no good with wiring diagrams)
But that's a good point you make, maybe green/yellow is a thermostat wire, in which case makes my generic elements useless.
I opted for a generic element on advice on this forum.

The connector on the element is a generic 2 pin.

Lost me there I'm afraid. The original connector has 3 pins. I was guessing the green/yellow was earth, leaving the brown and grey. If I knew which is live the other had to be neutral. (I'm no good with wiring diagrams)
But that's a good point you make, maybe green/yellow is a thermostat wire, in which case makes my generic elements useless.
I opted for a generic element on advice on this forum.

The connector on the element is a generic 2 pin.

Its a 12V system. So live, neutral and earth are not relevant.
There will be a positive, negative and a temp sensor.

Could I simply not use the thermostat wire? Guessing it would only be on or off, ie not incrementally adjustable as the originals were. Obviously the generic elements were not ment to be variable hence no thermostat.

I'd probe the wires from the existing plug to see what voltage you're getting between the grey and brown with them turned on full if it's 12v you should be good to go, just bear in mind you'll only have the one setting.

The temperature probe is just a resistor between the probe and ground. . I’m pretty sure if you connect it to nothing, the system will see this as hot and not turn on or it may only turn on on the full setting. You might have to connect the probe wire to a resistor to fool the system into turning the power on. There’s nothing to loose by trying.

Would there be a risk of overheating with out any temperature control?

Would there be a risk of overheating with out any temperature control?
Dunno. What bits have you not fitted from the heat pads you’ve brought?

I think they're meant to self regulate based on their resistance and if all else fails the fuse will pop.

Back