Headlamp Protectors

csnell71

Does anyone have any solid advice on how to fit a set of T6 Headlamp protectors, as I've just fitted a set and cracked both of them putting them on. They are impossibly tight and I've just cracked both sides putting them on. Even though i was so careful they just cracked.

Guess ill be getting a new set but really need some pointers on this.

Thanks

IMG_20201104_153559.jpg

IMG_20201104_153615.jpg

as a matter of interest, how cold was it out there when you tried putting them on? If it is too cold, there's isn't much flex

Before I bought another set, I think I would be wondering exactly how much protection they are likely to give if they're that fragile out of the box.

I was going to say the same.
Leave them in a bucket of hot water for 5 minutes if you get some more, alternatively, what about paint protection film?

Warm them in advance. Do the fit in a warmed garage if possible. Also leave the lights on (engine running) as this will add heat too.

Pete

Are you fitting the bottom in first, then pulling the clip up over the top of the lights? Or do you fit the bottom, hook the clip on separately, then screw the clip to the protector?

as a matter of interest, how cold was it out there when you tried putting them on? If it is too cold, there's isn't much flex
They were sitting in my office which is warm and its been warm today so not sure if i could have done anything else other than put a hot air gun near them but im not sure it would have helped. They are just ridiculously tight and then when they go in it takes a lot of pressure to push the whole lip under and then CRACK.
Im wondering f there is anyway to loosen the headlamp from the top and create a slightly bigger gap.

Are you fitting the bottom in first, then pulling the clip up over the top of the lights? Or do you fit the bottom, hook the clip on separately, then screw the clip to the protector?
I fitted the clip after. TBH the metal clip wasnt the issue its just the small gap under the haeadlight.

They were sitting in my office which is warm and its been warm today so not sure if i could have done anything else other than put a hot air gun near them but im not sure it would have helped. They are just ridiculously tight and then when they go in it takes a lot of pressure to push the whole lip under and then CRACK.
Im wondering f there is anyway to loosen the headlamp from the top and create a slightly bigger gap.
I can understand why they are tight, but that does sound ridiculously tight, as you say

Don’t take this the wrong way, but are protectors really necessary on H4 headlights (I have these too).
They are so cheap to get replacement complete units as everyone is replacing them ?

Pete

I'm guessing it's a quick, easy and reusable way of fitting the beam deflectors. I bought a set for a Passat years ago for that very reason.

If it's tight fitting the bottom part, perhaps open the gap up a bit wider with a pair of plastic trim removal tools either end of the light. You'll need 3 hands to do it tho'.

I am having the same issue with mine - i really don't want to force the bottom lip into place, but there's hardly any gap between light and bumper.
Matt

I'll be playing the same silly game... I've just ordered some. For the reason dubber36 said. Want to be able to put on/take off the beam deflectors for European driving. Without having to use stickers on the lights themselves.

If they have broken they must be cheap acetate and not polycarbonate. If they break installing how can they protect a headlamp.

I couldn't find a YouTube video unfortunately.
But I did fit mine today. It was quite a tight fit so I used a thin flat wooden spatula from the kitchen and slid that between the bumper and headlight unit and gently prised them apart which allowed me to get the protector nicely in place. It was still pretty tight to get in but the assistance from the kitchen utensil made it that little bit easier and prevented me having to use too much force. What I did notice was that when I was giving the headlights a good clean prior to fitting the protectors was that they are peppered with lots of little stone chips! I'll not be fitting the beam deflectors until September when I'm off to Europe. Any more luck with yours OP?

Does any of you have a link for these protectors? I keep thinking of getting some for the European deflectors reason but last time I checked they were very expensive.

Back