Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust, Drivetrain' started by AndyAK66, 13 Jan 2019 at 20:13.

1. AndyAK66

AndyAK66 Member

Map
    Hi check oil keeps coming on,dealership cant find a problem realistically dont think they could find thier arse with both hands, checked today neck of oil filler looks like cold beef fat and filler top got white fatty deposit, didnt drive the van for 4 days, started ok then cut out, took several attempts to restart was only firing on a couple of cylinders, my thoughts head gasket !!!

2. AndyAK66

AndyAK66 Member

Map
    Im not sure if i can name and shame the dealership on the forum, can anyone recommend a dealership other than Peterborough, im 15 miles south of Lincoln

3. Pete C

Pete C T30 PV 102bhp converted to camper VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    What colour is the oil on the dipstick ?

“Mayonnaise” at the top of the oil filler neck is not uncommon on these vehicles, based on previous posts. It doesn’t automatically mean head gasket failure.

Pete

4. Northern Monkey

Northern Monkey Indium grey caravelle VIP Member T6 Legend

5. Olly T6

Olly T6 blackberry 240 DSG VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I’ve got a friend with a t6 and his head has cracked, same sort of issue with the light coming on

6. Loz

Loz California 204 DSG 4Motion MY17 VCDS User Admin Moderator VIP Member

Map
    Do you have any black residue in the coolant reservoir?

7. AndyAK66

AndyAK66 Member

Map
    Not looked wil check later

8. AndyAK66

AndyAK66 Member

Map
    Oil on dipstick seemed ok, but the neck of the oil filler is almost blocked with thick grey colour mayo

9. Sjacko20

Sjacko20 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    As ridiculous as it sounds, this appears to be normal. If you look at the linked thread above, there is a picture of mine on the page which VW says is normal.

AndyAK66 likes this.
  10. AndyAK66

AndyAK66 Member

Map
    Thanks, looks to be a common problem, it going in Friday, dealership didnt seem overly surprised, said its normal and blamed the oil vent pipe and an ingress of moisture?? 20190113_131748.jpg 20190113_131800.jpg

11. Olly T6

Olly T6 blackberry 240 DSG VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    If it was normal then wouldn’t every t6 have it?
    I’m Gona go check mine right now

12. Dellmassive

Dellmassive 204 T32 DSG LWB SPORTLINE PV MY18 VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    There is a VW TPI about this, its normal for most people unless you have the engine running HOT for at least a few hours every day, and not just short runs.

Customer statement / workshop findings:

White paste/foam/sludge in oil filler neck.

Technical background:
    Because of its high efficiency the engine EA288 has low waste heat. As a result, the temperature is too low for the water in the filler neck to evaporate. The big temperature difference of the filler pipe/cap to the remaining
    system/oil circuit leads to increased condensed water formation on the filler neck/cap. The resulting emulsion (of oil and steam) is deposited as oil sludge.
    On the EA288 engine in the Caddy, T6 and Crafter the filler neck/cap is positioned directly in the air flow (no engine cover panel). This assists the condensate formation. Production change

- Measure
    Explain the following background to the customer: The big temperature difference of the filler pipe/cap to the remaining system/oil circuit leads to increased condensed water formation on the filler neck/cap.
    The emulsion on the filler pipe/cap is must therefore be regarded as normal. A repair is not necessary. But the emulsion can also be caused by external water supply, therefore the following points must be observed.
    • To rule out other causes check the oil and coolant level.

a4.JPG

a1.JPG a2.JPG a3.JPG

#
    #

Cherokee, Martinf and $immo like this.
  13. Loz

Loz California 204 DSG 4Motion MY17 VCDS User Admin Moderator VIP Member

Map
    Yeah, the reason I ask is there a friend of mine had an O-ring failed on the oil cooler and this allowed oil to go into the cooling system and his symptoms were black soot and oil appearing inside the reservoir.

Yours does sound more like a faulty combined oil sender unit.