Has anyone found a top loading gas locker ?

Mr blue

T6 Pro
Has anyone found a top loading gas locker ? Like the Cali one all I can find is the square black one with a door on the side

Interesting as here in Spain the campervan I bought does not have one - the bottle is secured to the side wall below the sink. I ask the chap about a locker and he just looked at me like I had two heads........ I take it these are required by law in the UK?

Interesting as here in Spain the campervan I bought does not have one - the bottle is secured to the side wall below the sink. I ask the chap about a locker and he just looked at me like I had two heads........ I take it these are required by law in the UK?

Interesting question - I may be wrong, but my understanding is that there is no legal requirement as such. I've certainly seen one "professional conversion" being offered for sale locally by a local business where there was no gas safe.

Cannot see the point and the expense for something that is not needed. Mine is fitted with 2x straps and I do switch mine off when travelling but that's all.

Had a motorhome for years and never needed a secure/safe locker to put the bottle in.

If you have no locker you more than likely have a 'drop vent' in the under-sink cupboard.

If you have no locker you more than likely have a 'drop vent' in the under-sink cupboard.
Yep you are correct right below the gas bottle. Wonder how a gas safe works - does that have a drop vent?

Yep you are correct right below the gas bottle. Wonder how a gas safe works - does that have a drop vent?
Yes. And while a drop vent is obviously a "good thing", the gas safe offers the peace of mind of not potentially having a vehicle full of gas when a hose breaks. Which I've had happen, albeit in a camping / tent scenario as distinct from in a van. Personally, I can't see why anyone would take the risk and I'm astonished it's not a legal requirement - that and electrics have the potential to do very bad things, and we see examples of dangerous installs on a regular basis.

Yes. And while a drop vent is obviously a "good thing", the gas safe offers the peace of mind of not potentially having a vehicle full of gas when a hose breaks. Which I've had happen, albeit in a camping / tent scenario as distinct from in a van. Personally, I can't see why anyone would take the risk and I'm astonished it's not a legal requirement - that and electrics have the potential to do very bad things, and we see examples of dangerous installs on a regular basis.
I agree the idea is good, but the hose is outside the gas safe is it not? - therefore useless?

Having had a motorhome for many years I have got used to switching off the gas at the bottle whilst on the move.

I agree the idea is good, but the hose is outside the gas safe is it not? - therefore useless?

As much as I can see, the majority of the pipe run from the hobs and oven is copper - with on/off valves in the cupboard space below the sink. Clearly there is rubber gas hose exiting the safe to, I presume, the regulator - and thence the copper pipe. It's all exceptionally well concealed behind the units, so difficult to say for sure. So, the bulk of the rubber hose and the bottle connector are contained within the safe. Which is well sealed. It's an interesting discussion though, as I put this whole business of gas safety in that area where I certainly didn't know what I didn't know, and assumed a pro converter would just do what was necessary. Having got the van, and become more aware of these things, I'd now be very unhappy were we to buy a converted van without a gas safe. Yet, people are doing diy conversions and not putting in a drop vent, let alone a safe.

But they are also doing diy electrical work, again with no apparent legal requirement to have it checked. You aren't supposed to even change a socket in your house these days I believe, as a diy.

All this said, friends have a Ford "factory" van conversion which doesn't seem to use a metal safe for it's 6kg propane - although it certainly is in a sealed space at the back of the van, and vented.

I'm not knocking the idea of being/feeling safe. If that's what someone wants when ordering a campervan then so be it. I agree DIY folk should read this thread as it could be handy for them to know about. I thought in the UK as a gas system is fitted it must be checked by a qualified person. I know in our old motorhome a "hab" check was done and they checked the gas system.

I thought in the UK as a gas system is fitted it must be checked by a qualified person. I know in our old motorhome a "hab" check was done and they checked the gas system.
I guess the hab check isn't a legal requirement - but yes, I'd thought gas (and electrics) had to be checked / fitted by a qualified person. Strange thing, the law

I do wonder why its necessary to have a metal locker. Surely as long as the container is gas-tight and has a drop vent within and a front panel higher than 50mm it conforms to the regs. If it's for fire reasons then I wouldn't want to be sat in a blazing van for long enough for the gas bottle to blow-you'd be toast long before that.
Anyway, you can probably guess that mine is made from ply.
Theres no electrical cables pass through, there's a dropout vent, a bulkhead regulator, copper pipe to the hob-bent with no joins-fitted by a gas fitter. The drop vent is more than 250mm from exhaust. I think it complies with all the lpg regs. and as a DIY job it doesnt need to comply anyway.

Back