Has a T5.1 got more engine problems than any other Transporter?

jackieToo

My friend recently bought a 2014 (64 plate) it runs and drives well but someone following her said it was throwing out some smoke, so yesterday she took it to a garage for them to check over and later had a call back to say that they weren't sure exactly what the problem was but it was not good news! he went on to tell her that her particular engine had known problems and was the worst engines of them all, I spoke to her last night and I advised her to get a 2nd opinion before they did any work on it. Is this true about the engines or is it BS? The van has done 106k and has a good service record, but since she had had it, it did have a particulate light come on and I advised her to give it a good workout as per manual

My T5.1 works van has done 173k miles and runs great. Just passed mot last week with 2 ball joints needing done that was it.
Only real problems I’ve had with it over the last 11 years was the EGR failing. The 3rd time it went I removed it and got it mapped out of the ecu.
Mines has the tiny wee eco engine with only 84bhp. It lugs all my tools about no problem.
Its reliability and fuel consumption was the main reason I bought a T6 camper.
The bodywork is getting rough now but I’m going to get it tidied up this year and keep it to keep the miles of the T6

My friend recently bought a 2014 (64 plate) it runs and drives well but someone following her said it was throwing out some smoke, so yesterday she took it to a garage for them to check over and later had a call back to say that they weren't sure exactly what the problem was but it was not good news! he went on to tell her that her particular engine had known problems and was the worst engines of them all, I spoke to her last night and I advised her to get a 2nd opinion before they did any work on it. Is this true about the engines or is it BS? The van has done 106k and has a good service record, but since she had had it, it did have a particulate light come on and I advised her to give it a good workout as per manual
It's impossible to say if your friend's T5 engine is renowned for problems because various different engines were fitted in T5's, including 1.9, 2.0 and 2.5 litre variants.
For any of them 106,000 miles is not high mileage if well maintained.
There can be a variety of reasons why excessive smoke is emitted from the exhaust, it seems that the garage dealing with it either don't know or haven't told your friend what they believe to be the problem.

It's impossible to say if your friend's T5 engine is renowned for problems because various different engines were fitted in T5's, including 1.9, 2.0 and 2.5 litre variants.
For any of them 106,000 miles is not high mileage if well maintained.
There can be a variety of reasons why excessive smoke is emitted from the exhaust, it seems that the garage dealing with it either don't know or haven't told your friend what they believe to be the problem.
It's a 1968cc the same as my 2017 T6

It's a 1968cc the same as my 2017 T6
In the t5.1, they will have either the single turbo 84bhp, 101?bhp or 140bhp, or the twin/biturbo 180bhp. If they have the 180bhp it’s renowned for being keen on us a lot of oil. The single turbo version is the better engine and less trouble. If it has the six speed or dsg gearbox in the single turbo version it’s 140bhp. If it’s five speed gearbox, it will be lower power version and again less trouble.
Hopefully this makes sense?

In the t5.1, they will have either the single turbo 84bhp, 101?bhp or 140bhp, or the twin/biturbo 180bhp. If they have the 180bhp it’s renowned for being keen on us a lot of oil. The single turbo version is the better engine and less trouble. If it has the six speed or dsg gearbox in the single turbo version it’s 140bhp. If it’s five speed gearbox, it will be lower power version and again less trouble.
Hopefully this makes sense?

Thank you, I've just checked her numberplate on Carchecker and it says;

132 kW / 180 HP / 180 BHP does that help id the engine? it is DSG

Thank you, I've just checked her numberplate on Carchecker and it says;

132 kW / 180 HP / 180 BHP does that help id the engine? it is DSG
The 180bhp engine has a reputation for reliability issues. So the garage are advising you correctly. If it’s smoking you will be clogging the dpf, depending upon how much oil it’s using.
if it’s a keeper, you will be replacing the engine and whatever is not re-useable. Hopefully it’s not really bad and gives time to deal with it in a planned way?

The 180bhp engine has a reputation for reliability issues. So the garage are advising you correctly. If it’s smoking you will be clogging the dpf, depending upon how much oil it’s using.
if it’s a keeper, you will be replacing the engine and whatever is not re-useable. Hopefully it’s not really bad and gives time to deal with it in a planned way?
Thank you, I will find out if it is Blue or Black smoke, apparently, it's only sometimes, she lives 120 miles away so I can't see for myself, My husband says the colour of the smoke can say whether it's an oil or fuel problem.

Back