Happy Retirement!!

ChrisoOo

T6 Pro
Well, that’s us done! We’ve attended our last breakdown together, and she’s now out of service. In the morning she gets picked up, loaded onto a transporter and put with all the other retirees to have all her decals peeled off, electronics ripped out, beacons taken off and be decommissioned ready for civilian life!

On the bright side, I’ll have a sparkly new van to play with, shame it probably won’t be a new reg, last of the 72’s I’d expect!

92006B2D-00ED-442D-BF2E-681A79D9A909.jpeg

What's its vital statistics if it goes to Auction ?
Would you buy it?
Any issues?
Take it, it's serviced within an inch of its life?

I’ve applied to buy it, but so far heard nothing, which is frustrating. It’s got 110k Full serve history, belt and water pump done at 105k, egr done at the same time. DSG has been serviced twice, new front springs and shocks last year, pads and disks done last year.

It’s a good van, and I want it for a conversion! Just wish they’d get it sorted before it’s too late.

Being a company man.

if you was to get the van, would you keep the colour or would you vinyl wrap it something different?.

Servicing isn’t done by the RAC, it’s all a bit odd really. The RAC order and purchase them directly from VW, then they go and get kitted out at our ‘factory’ and then all the maintenance is operated by Novuna, who are useless. It’s down to the drivers to keep the maintenance in date, but ultimately Novuna won’t authorise any work that’s not required (unless you catch them on a good day).

A perfect example of this is that one of our guys needed a set of new tyres, booked it through Novuna, who authorised the tyre replacement - but not the purchase of the tyres! The patrol got to the tyre fitters and was asked where his tyres where that he needed putting on!!

Thankfully I’ve never had any problems getting work done, other than VW’s poor service at the dealership. i.e after the egr got done, it kept going into limp mode, DTC stored for exhaust temp sensor. Had a look at the paperwork from the dealer and there was a £380 cost for ‘repair wiring harness at sensor 3’ which is the exhaust temp sensor that was now failing and previously hadn’t. I had a look at it and the plug was broken, so they’d decided to invoice the fleet company for repairing this plug, which they hadn’t. I bought a new sensor from TPS for £110 and fitted it on my lunch break. Dealers are shocking these days!

Interesting that your van is Shropshire registered 'DU' but there isn't a VW dealer in Shropshire. Nearest are Wrexham (the lower part of the 'D' registration letters), Stoke on Trent or Bilston.

From what I very recently learnt (literally the last half an hour) the company that build them register them. My new van has been built by the same company that build police cars etc and you can tell by the difference in quality of the equipment, I’m not sure who used to build them previously though.

The service history on mine (BT66 registered) shows it was fitted out at Bri-Stor systems in Staffordshire - I believe they did all the kit, extra electrics, lighting and vinyl graphics.

That’s interesting, mine didn’t have any of the paperwork from its original build. But I was the 3rd patrol to have it, so it must’ve been mislaid by somebody who wasn’t that bothered. So far, I’m very impressed with the replacement!

That’s interesting, mine didn’t have any of the paperwork from its original build. But I was the 3rd patrol to have it, so it must’ve been mislaid by somebody who wasn’t that bothered. So far, I’m very impressed with the replacement!
Mine was just from a three page Novuna print out that I got with the van. It literally had every single thing the van had ever had done to it (well other than anything you guys might have had to do!), from tyre sidewall damage to a new clutch!

Back