Handbrake spacer

hunta

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Fitted swivel seats today but ran out of adjustment on the handbrake when lowered. Has anyone solved this with a spacer and if so can point me in the direction of an appropriate part?

Coombe Valley include a spacer in their lowering kit if I remember correctly. See their videos for reference. Don't know where to get one separately, but might give you a clue what to look for.
I'm interested too because my handbrake (T5.1) moves a bit too far for my liking.

I don't know what lowering set-up you have but the most effective method that I have used has been to remove the original mounting from the seat base and replace it lower and slightly forward. Needs to be done properly by a competent welder and the plastic cover needs to be shortened. On that subject don't just cut the covert shorter by the amount that you lowered the mounting by as you will find that it doesn't fit correctly. Measure and cut carefully then it all looks good.

There's plenty of adjustment at the rear end of the cable if you have problems.

Thank you for the responses.

I actually noticed that Coombe Valley include a spacer in their kit, and contacted them to see if they would be able to sell one separately. They very graciously included one free of charge with the handbrake gaiter I bought from them. Job done!

Can you measure the spacer so I can try to find something similar? Probably need inner diameter, outer diameter, length. Anything else that I should know?

Coombe Valley put a spacer under the adjusting nut on the handbrake lever so that you can maintain the 3 clicks to fully apply the handbrake. I'm getting about 8 clicks with the nut fully screwed in. There is (I think) an alternative - adjusting the nut under the van where it splits to the separate cables to each rear wheel, but this means you have to squeeze under the van and potentially fight with a completely siezed nut from all the muck collected underneath. Much simpler to fit a spacer at the handbrake (if you can find one).

PXL_20211029_143429008.jpgPXL_20211029_143454298.jpgPXL_20211029_143514156.jpg

Here you go... roughly 30mm long, 12.75mm outer diameter and 9.8mm inner diameter. Having fitted it I'd say there's scope for it being a slightly snugger fit.

That's correct, take some of the slack up on the adjuster under the van. I park one side on the kerb and run the other up on my levelling ramps. Even at the age of 72 I can shimmy under the van OK like that, done it hundreds of times during the past 14 years converting five vans!. A big sheet of cardboard makes sliding under even easier!

No point in being a DIY camper builder if you can't get under your van easily.

Back