Had Windows Fitted Worried About Rustproofing.

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 07.12.43.png

Had some side windows fitted yesterday.

When I got home and had a look I noticed that on the offside window the edge where they had cut had some red paint applied but in there were lots of bits that the paint had not been applied well and I could see bare steel.
At the time I thought the easiest thing was to just apply some Hammerite myself, so I did.

It was only later I started to think about the near side, as this had been finished with a frame and carpet so I could not see what it is like. If there are lots of unprotected steel edges.

My thoughts now are, do I need to do something about this or will it be ok. How important is that there is no exposed steel on the cut edges under the frame and carpet?

Thanks for advice.

I would say that you don't want any exposed steel anywhere as even moisture in the air will corrode it.

I would pick up the phone and have a chat with the window fitter.

Thanks.

I went to speak to them. They are willing to remove the carpet, check and paint any exposed metal, and put the trim back. Said they would get the window replaced if needed (I'd rather avoid this).

Cheers, I'm really happy with them, van is very different to be inside. I did think they would be a little darker but its no biggy.

Was worried about the paint/bare metal thing but since I spoke to them (the place we both know) I am now confident it will be sorted and if not after a closer look I know I can sort it myself if needed.

Back