H4's V's LED's - Real World Test

@Roadrunner I could support your hypothesis if VWCV spelt out clearly in their brochure what upgrades were in the various packs because it is difficult to see (no pun intended !) that there is an upgrade from H4 to H7 units at a more reasonable price than the wacking price of upgrading to the LED system. Equally I haven't seen any member reporting that the sales staff recommended any upgraded lighting package, it being left to the customer to work the details out for themself. Whilst I recognise the client can ask the sales staff for details, most of the demonstrater vehicles and those of the staff have a number of extras or upgrades on them to make later disposal easier so few, if any, will know how the base vehicle performs because they don't experience driving them "in the real world" and hence the lack of Dealer knowledge of the poor output of the H4 lighting.

Hi Bigben What did you actually say to them i know you contacted them on Facebook but am not a subscriber to that nor do i wish to be When i contacted VW customer care i was just fobbed off as i think you are aware i posted there reply on another thread since then my van has been to my local dealer and had the lights checked and adjusted but in my opinion they are worse I was also told that as i had changed the bulbs that this is a modification and would not be covered under warranty ???? So if a bulb blew and i had to change it would that also be a modification????
I told them I was very disappointed etc etc. I reminded them about the growing feeling that was evident from a simple search on the net etc.
I had a voicemail from a very terse sounding lady today asking me to call her back at VW customer services. (outside the promised 24hrs..)
I phoned the number twice and have not been able to get through to anyone so sent them another messenger message stating this.
They have recently messaged me back saying that they have let customer services know the situation so should hear back from them shortly.

@BIgben thank you for your detailed feedback of your contact with VW Customer Services and I can only add that you have my support so keep up the good work on blazing the trail over the H4 lights. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :)

Last edited:
@T6 Dave's Dad I can't disagree with what you say. Sales staff will sell you what you ask for (sometimes) but will not put themselves in a compromising position of saying you should have LED lights are they are far better than the H4's. VW would be far better telling you the differences and costing LED lights better as the Technology has come on enough for the cost to have come down but they would rather charge you a premium.

With the Cali Beach, the H7s are hidden inside the "exterior pack" which bizzarely consists of them plus matt black mirror covers! But at the time I ordered the dealers didn't even know what the exterior pack was!

@CaliStu I found that out when I ordered Grape Yellow it was an option you had no say in. When I ordered the salesman told me the configerator said you had to have it and when I the online configerator if gave you no option you had to have it. I'm not complaining but it should be std in that case. I don't think it happens with any other colour.

@BIgben good to hear that they have not brushed you off. If they start arguing, ask them how much it will be for them convert them from h4 to H7, and when they tell you, suggest that your business is worth more to them than that cost, as I'm sure that you will find that it is a very small real costing, as the lights should be supplied at cost to VW group and not trade or retail, and the dealership labour rate should be charged at warranty rate and not the dealerships retail rate.

Hi everybody, especially those with H4 Headlights. I have re-read every word of the July 2016 Van Brochure and the only lighting option that is mentioned as an upgrade is to LED headlights. There is NO MENTION THAT H4 ARE THE STANDARD HEADLIGHT AND NO MENTION OF THE AVAILABILITY OF AN H7 UPGRADE. If you bear in mind my previous post about the lack of knowledge of sales staff about basic specifications it is small wonder that so many customers have ended up with the poorest performing lights, the H4. It makes me wonder even more, since the possibility of the upgrade isn't mentioned in the brochure, whether the H7 was intended at one time to be the standard fit.

Right just copy n pasted the prices from the price list. The last one is the option for H7 the twin halogen headlights which is what I got with my beach, this should be the same as onthe Cali ocean you do not see that mentioned in the brochure.

Comfort pack. Includes foldable grab handles on ‘A’ pillars, driver and front passenger Panel van/kombi £210.00 £252.00 llll
seat storage compartments, twin sun visors with vanity mirrors, two-tone horn,
dimmable dashboard illumination and additional noise suppression.
Exterior pack. Includes body-coloured bumpers, door mirrors and handles. Panel van/kombi £530.00 £636.00 llll
Front fog lights with cornering lights. Panel van/kombi £295.00 £354.00 £295.00 £354.00 l l
LED headlights with LED daytime running lights. Panel van/kombi £1,120.00 £1,344.00 £1,120.00 £1,344.00 £1,120.00 £1,344.00
Only in combination with comfort pack – Startline only.
LED headlights with LED daytime running lights and LED tail lights. Panel van/kombi £1,385.00 £1,662.00 £1,385.00 £1,662.00 £1,385.00 £1,662.00
Only in combination with a tailgate.
LED tail lights. Only in combination with a tailgate. Panel van/kombi £125.00 £150.00 £125.00 £150.00 £125.00 £150.00
Lights & Vision pack. Includes automatic headlights with separate daytime running lights, Panel van/kombi £215.00 £258.00 £215.00 £258.00 l l
auto-dimming rear-view interior mirror and rain sensing wipers.
Lights & Vision pack ‘Plus’. Includes automatic headlights with separate daytime Panel van/kombi £575.00 £690.00 £575.00 £690.00 £380.00 £456.00
running lights, auto-dimming rear-view interior mirror and rain sensing wipers,
additional twin halogen headlamps and fog lights with cornering lights.

@Roadrunner thanks for the update that cover the "leisure vehicles" (no disrespect) price list which is one half of the issue and my post above refers to the "working vehicles" the other half. I think that what we may have demonstrated between us is that there is no mention that the H4 lights are the standard fit and that the upgrade to the H7 system is either hidden or not even referred to in the respective brochures.

@Roadrunner thanks for that. I am only looking at basic brochures because generally speaking that is what is available and putting it in the Price List is concealment in my book unless the details of the various Packs is spelt out.

That is the problem, they don't. I never knew you had to have the exterior pack on mine they don't tell you in the brochure.

How difficult is it to upgrade from H4 to H7? Is it technically possible?
(Sorry if this has been asked and answered already!)

NOWHERE appears the two terms H7 or H4, even in the above list... Therefore you do not know what is available or even being talked about.. Consumer rights issue?

How difficult is it to upgrade from H4 to H7? Is it technically possible?
(Sorry if this has been asked and answered already!)
Will have a little scan later and see if the wiring is matched between the two

Reactions: HHO
@HHO , for VW, EASY for a retro fit upgrade kit.. New lights etc and possibly new sub loom, or plug in adaption loom, is then VW approved for warranty work and no need to notify insurance.

Back