Grand California

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Volkswagen adds a larger, amenity-packed camper van to its lineup

So they've done it! Got to say that the name is much better and removing the bulging arse has helped the back look better, but I still can't get over the hideous Donald Trump toupe at the front. The interior has stuck largely to the concept design but obviously toned back to normal vehicle specs.

I quite like the inside, but sadly the Crafter, like the Sprinter it used to be related to (and still dimensionally almost identical) just doesn't make a great campervan as it's too narrow to sleep transversely (without the Westafalia style bulges) leading to having to sleep lengthways which just makes for a very inefficient use of space. If only they'd increased the width to Sevel size it would have been perfect, but I suppose it would have just cost too much to design a new model from scratch.

There's a lot to like about the Grand California, but while I've still got my eyesight and a sense of taste, it ain't for me.

Incidentally, Shaun and Lizzie have a video up about it already, but they've renamed their channel from California Camping to A Bus And Beyond

Last edited:
I stand corrected, I've just watched the video and they have gone for Westfalia style pop-out bulges to allow transverse sleeping, it showed a longitudinal sleeping layout in the photos I saw. Just can't get past that front view though, @DaveyB is spot on

Strange that they only sleep 2 as standard or 4 with additional kids sleeping option pack ?
Fiat based conversions all manage to get a Rib style seat/bed to fit in.
I presume the Vw marketing people have done their homework and think empty nesters will be there main buyers??

Strange that they only sleep 2 as standard or 4 with additional kids sleeping option pack ?
I presume the Vw marketing people have done their homework and think empty nesters will be there main buyers??
There is a big market for people who don't have ankle snappers to drag along, Me for one though I'll pass on that ugly thing, reminds me of a guppy

If the price is really going to be £70k+ then they're probably right. But part of the difference is that the Sevel vans are just that bit wider and can be much more space efficient. That optional top bed does look a bit small. I bet if you spec it up with the top engine, 4motion and all these fancy options that are mentioned like roof mounted aircon, top bed, satellite dish etc you'll be able to push the price close to £100k

We have three pre-teen kids with us in our LWB T6 camper. Looking at options for a larger van is very problematic all the obvious crafter or motorhome layouts can’t carry as many as we get in a T6. Seems a bit counterintuitive but they’re mostly designing them for retired couples.

We have three pre-teen kids with us in our LWB T6 camper. Looking at options for a larger van is very problematic all the obvious crafter or motorhome layouts can’t carry as many as we get in a T6. Seems a bit counterintuitive but they’re mostly designing them for retired couples.
Most of the people I come across are not retired and I can name a pare of Vloggers who post on here who are not as well

As a campervan I think it is far superior, there is actual space inside to move more than a couple of feet.

However it probably cost a million bucks, is a nightmare to use every day and looks....well....like a campervan so its T6 all day long.

More details on the Grand Cali now it's been shown in Dusseldorf Volkswagen Grand California campervan based on VW Crafter – full official details, pictures and on-sale info | Parkers

Interesting that the longer wheelbase has a standard extra-high roof and does without the Trump toupe', so it doesn't look like a hound. Downside of that is that 6.8m puts it in the single use motorhome category. Kudos to VW for the interior design though, although it's obviously lost a lot of the concept featues, it still manages to give a fresh new interior design approach. Still too narrow for me though and even if I had the money I couldn't buy a van that made me hurl every time I caught sight of the outside.

Also a new 30th Anniversary T6 Cali with metallic gold paint and contrasting roof.

We are hoping to head out to Dusseldorf to take a closer look and obviously show you guys as well. It'll be interesting to see that's for sure

I’ll be there got my cheap tickets and camping off tomorrow there for a couple of days probably, its always a great show.

I really dig the quality of the interior from those links and also the video,

i love the stark white interior and i quite like the design for able bodied people.

Although i think it would have been a better idea to release the 600 model in two options, if you don't need the kids bunk bed, then they could have gone for a more slimline roofline at the front.

ill have to do a search and see more of the 680 model

Back