Grand California

Saw both at the show, but no brochures available for the 680 at the show as at Wednesday, very difficult to do any photos when we were there as a film crew were on them, I liked the stark white, but no point for me as I’ve just downsized from 7.5 mtrs to a Kombi Conversion.

Volkswagen adds a larger, amenity-packed camper van to its lineup

So they've done it! Got to say that the name is much better and removing the bulging arse has helped the back look better, but I still can't get over the hideous Donald Trump toupe at the front. The interior has stuck largely to the concept design but obviously toned back to normal vehicle specs.

I quite like the inside, but sadly the Crafter, like the Sprinter it used to be related to (and still dimensionally almost identical) just doesn't make a great campervan as it's too narrow to sleep transversely (without the Westafalia style bulges) leading to having to sleep lengthways which just makes for a very inefficient use of space. If only they'd increased the width to Sevel size it would have been perfect, but I suppose it would have just cost too much to design a new model from scratch.

There's a lot to like about the Grand California, but while I've still got my eyesight and a sense of taste, it ain't for me.

Incidentally, Shaun and Lizzie have a video up about it already, but they've renamed their channel from California Camping to A Bus And Beyond
Too high for my needs

Back