Getting sick when I stay in the van

djg87

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hey guys, I have a strange problem. I have spent many nights in my van. Some with the diesel heater some without. Front windows ajar and twin slider windows cracked,and always 0 readings on the carbon monoxide alarm. But far too often I wake up rather sick. Like a bad hangover and sometimes that comes with bad vomiting and an inability to hold down water that absolutely ruins me for a good day. Only happens after a night in the van but strangely is very hit and miss but just can’t work out the cause. Can spend days away and be fine but weeks later one night and it can happen again. It’s happed both with and without the heater on and I’m sure it’s not the heater causing it. Maybe fumes from the heater fuel tank under the bed ? Or maybe something in the cali folding mattress topper? Any one else had this?? Has stopped me taking my son for trips away until I work it out.

Ooo, not pleasant.
Just some thoughts.

How long since the van was converted?
Allergic to the glues/solvents used?
Fuel vapours?
Different bedding material to home?
LPG fitted?

Reactions: JOG
A long shot but could not be your water maybe? We were a bit iffy from the water in the van once, a good sanitise of the whole system and it’s not happened since.

I hope you find the cause either way.

It’s a lwb shuttle with just the rear triple and I have a wood frame in the boot and just fold the seats flat with the mattress on top. I had wondered if maybe sleeping to close to the heaters diesel tank and slowly huffing the fumes as I sleep. No lpg no glues and solvents

A long shot but could not be your water maybe? We were a bit iffy from the water in the van once, a good sanitise of the whole system and it’s not happened since.
I only used bottled water when away as haven’t finished our kitchen pod yet

Keep the suggestions coming tho. I really appreciate it and I’m clueless as to the cause. The only thing I can think to do is when it happens again call the doctors that morning and see if they can tell me what’s wrong.

Have checked the monoxide alarm and works fine. I would say monoxide poisoning but is happed nights I haven’t used the heater as well

Have you got a carbon monoxide detector fitted?

I'd take it to someone who really knows conversions for a double - check, I think. Sickness to that level indicates a real issue.

What do you mean exactly by "diesel heater tank" ?
Is it a separate tank to the main fuel tank, and what sort of heater is it ?

Pete

Have you got a carbon monoxide detector fitted?
Yep and tested and works fine. But always shows 0ppm

What do you mean exactly by "diesel heater tank" ?
Is it a separate tank to the main fuel tank, and what sort of heater is it ?

Pete
I didn’t want to tap the fuel tank to run the diesel heater so has its own 10l tank in the boot installed under the bed.

I’m sure it’s not the heater as had happed on hot nights when the heater hasn’t been run to

So how does the tank vent excess pressure, or draw in air when it's running to prevent a vacuum ?

To be honest, I struggle to understand how you can't smell diesel, given the tank is venting into the interior of the van.
Is it just you using it ? Could someone else sit inside to see if they can smell diesel ?

Pete

To be honest, I struggle to understand how you can't smell diesel, given the tank is venting into the interior of the van.
Is it just you using it ? Could someone else sit inside to see if they can smell diesel ?

Pete
the wife would let me know for sure as she can’t stand the smell of diesel. Can only smell it when I refill the tank and to be honest that’s not very often and I rarely use the heater

I stayed in the van last night after hiking a couple munros with a friend. We sat watching tv with the heater on for an hour then both went to bed, me in the van and him in a tent next to the van. He was fine and I woke up sick. Heater turned off as he got out the van

Is it possible to temporarily remove the tank, blank off the hose and sleep in the van.
Or just fit the fuel supply to the tank and have nothing inside the van.
I fitted mine to the tank and it wasn't that hard., or get it done as a van you can't sleep in is fairly useless.

Is it possible to temporarily remove the tank, blank off the hose and sleep in the van.
Or just fit the fuel supply to the tank and have nothing inside the van.
I fitted mine to the tank and it wasn't that hard., or get it done as a van you can't sleep in is fairly useless.
I think that removing the tank for a while is a good shout.

Could it be how level you are parked up? If your head is lower than your feet this could make you feel sick.
What type of leisure battery do you have, is it leaking?

Could it be how level you are parked up? If your head is lower than your feet this could make you feel sick.
What type of leisure battery do you have, is it leaking?
always parked nice and level and
No visible leaking from the battery. All looks fine

6080C805-BA94-46C1-A31B-C8BD6F960433.png

Me my wife and son regularly drive the 600 mile back south to see family and never get sick. It’s just when I sleep in there. It’s as if the problem comes and goes.

Back