getting cables through firewall

nimrod

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, I am desperately trying to get a wire through to the battery area under the bonnet for a feed to a new 12v outlet and usb, these are being fitted in the rear area of my Kombi, the auto electrician is not interested/keen on using a piggy back fuse which is what I was going to do. I have 2 of these in already, one for front camera and one will be connected soon for USB in the pillars behind the front seats. WHERE AND HOW DO I GET THESE CABLES THROUGH PLEASE.

Hi all, I am desperately trying to get a wire through to the battery area under the bonnet for a feed to a new 12v outlet and usb, these are being fitted in the rear area of my Kombi, the auto electrician is not interested/keen on using a piggy back fuse which is what I was going to do. I have 2 of these in already, one for front camera and one will be connected soon for USB in the pillars behind the front seats. WHERE AND HOW DO I GET THESE CABLES THROUGH PLEASE.
There's threads on how to get from the starter battery into the cab- travelvolts did a good guide on the routing for fitting a leisure battery - there's a grommet in the bulk head at the back of the starter battery that you can access from inside by pulling the mat down by the passengers foot area - have a search. I would consider fitting a small accessory fuse box to feed accessories. Remember not to connect your new feed to the starters negative terminal.

see post 19 of this thread

I've gone through this grommet which is in the scuttle behind the battery and you only need to remove the airbag trim near the passenger door to get it through.

I'm sure there's a rubber plug near the steering rack...comes out at the back of the fuse box

I took 2 switched feeds and 1 perm live from the fuse box below the gear lever. Had to dismantle the lower dash to get the fuse box off its fixings and insert the connectors from behind into spare slots.

USB sockets ideally should be on an ignition switched live as they draw a tiny current all the time especially LED lit ones.

Being a shuttle there should be a secondary fuse box under the passenger seat that you could tap into?

thanks everybody. wire is now through, this forum is so much easier than discussing the issues with the wife, :D. cheers again

Back