Gap between single front seats

dilbu

Hi all -

I'm currently trying to source a new base van for a conversion, and had learned from a recent trip to the dealership about the ability of getting vans with dual single front seats (as opposed to a drivers seat and then a bench), as explained in this post.

However my dealer searched for another (the one that was there was sold) and came back empty handed, saying best option is to buy new configured how I want or to stick to a bench. So I wanted to open up a second post just to get some further info in the hope some of you kind folks can help me out.

I previously had an old talbot express (RIP) which has the dual front seats which you could walk through to the back which I loved, and wanted to recreate that function. However I did go see the sold one 1 more time on the weekend and noticed that it's of course much narrower, and I'm not sure how achievable it is to walk through the seats anyway. So my main questions are:

1) If any of you have 2 single front seats, are you able walk through the gap between the seats comfortably to access the camper area (I have a 34" waist), or do you still end up getting out and going through the side sliding door anyway?

2) Are the single seats much comfier than a bench?

3) Does anyone have a bench on a swivel and if so are they as much hassle as they look or are they pretty decent? I've seen a couple of youtube videos and the demos certainly havent done the products justice; they struggled a bit and had to get out of the van, back in the other door, just seemed a hassle compared to a single seat but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks so much!

Hi all -

I'm currently trying to source a new base van for a conversion, and had learned from a recent trip to the dealership about the ability of getting vans with dual single front seats (as opposed to a drivers seat and then a bench), as explained in this post.

However my dealer searched for another (the one that was there was sold) and came back empty handed, saying best option is to buy new configured how I want or to stick to a bench. So I wanted to open up a second post just to get some further info in the hope some of you kind folks can help me out.

I previously had an old talbot express (RIP) which has the dual front seats which you could walk through to the back which I loved, and wanted to recreate that function. However I did go see the sold one 1 more time on the weekend and noticed that it's of course much narrower, and I'm not sure how achievable it is to walk through the seats anyway. So my main questions are:

1) If any of you have 2 single front seats, are you able walk through the gap between the seats comfortably to access the camper area (I have a 34" waist), or do you still end up getting out and going through the side sliding door anyway?

2) Are the single seats much comfier than a bench?

3) Does anyone have a bench on a swivel and if so are they as much hassle as they look or are they pretty decent? I've seen a couple of youtube videos and the demos certainly havent done the products justice; they struggled a bit and had to get out of the van, back in the other door, just seemed a hassle compared to a single seat but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks so much!

2x single ( armed ) seat Kombi

Can only answer Q2 ... the gap is sufficient for most to walk through ..all be it the head hight issue...even my good lady with her large ***** ( well it’s bigger than mine :whistle: ) gets through...;)

ps.. Her seat is so comfy...she falls a sleep.

Can only answer first two.
1: I can get between the seats easy enough, though I do catch the arm rests sometimes.
2: previous van had a bench seat and I would say that the two single seats are better if you only want to seat two people.

Qu1. I use the gap between the front seats to get into the back and vice versa regularly. 6' tall, 80ish Kg.

It handy with 2 singles for getting in back when you stop if its p***ing down with rain to make a cuppa

It's well worth waiting for a van with 2 singles, the bench is uncomfortable, too close to the dash board and not really big enough for 2 adults anyway. You'd have to be a proper plumper not to fit through the gap between the singles.

It's well worth waiting for a van with 2 singles, the bench is uncomfortable, too close to the dash board and not really big enough for 2 adults anyway. You'd have to be a proper plumper not to fit through the gap between the singles.

Thanks gavinda; and apologies for those who can't that read this :p

2x single ( armed ) seat Kombi

Can only answer Q2 ... the gap is sufficient for most to walk through ..all be it the head hight issue...even my good lady with her large ***** ( well it’s bigger than mine :whistle: ) gets through...;)

ps.. Her seat is so comfy...she falls a sleep.
Can only answer first two.
1: I can get between the seats easy enough, though I do catch the arm rests sometimes.
2: previous van had a bench seat and I would say that the two single seats are better if you only want to seat two people.

Thanks both - exactly what i wanted to hear

Easy to get through the two singles and I'm a bit of a fat lad.......The single seat is a totally different level of comfort to the bench seat. My good lady could only manage 20/30 miles on the bench before being uncomfortable, now on the single seat with arms she is happy as you like........That said single passenger seats are very hard to come by, I travelled to Aberdeen from West Yorkshire, but worth the long day. The forum is a good place to locate one.....

I have twin captain seats and get to from the back to the front is easy.

bench v single, no comparison really single can be moved to a more relaxing position, bench just bolt upright.

the fella next door has a swivel/sliding bench seat, it’s a bit of a phaf, nice when turned round. However the height increase is 40mm beware if your tall, he’s 6.1 And his head is touching the roof.

nice problems have, good luck

I have twin captain seats and get to from the back to the front is easy.

bench v single, no comparison really single can be moved to a more relaxing position, bench just bolt upright.

the fella next door has a swivel/sliding bench seat, it’s a bit of a phaf, nice when turned round. However the height increase is 40mm beware if your tall, he’s 6.1 And his head is touching the roof.

nice problems have, good luck

just to add, I have twin captain seats both on swivels, these were factory order on the build, so no hight penalty.;)

just to add, I have twin captain seats both on swivels, these were factory order on the build, so no hight penalty.;)

Good point; I'm assuming that a drivers' swivel adds a bigger gap; do you have furniture close to it? I wasn't sure it'd have room to spin if I put the typical cabinets behind it

Good point; I'm assuming that a drivers' swivel adds a bigger gap; do you have furniture close to it? I wasn't sure it'd have room to spin if I put the typical cabinets behind it
I do have furniture behind the seat and it only spins part way however it enough to comfortably to be able eat at the table with both front seats spun round.

it doesn’t increase the gap and I will say they are a Phaf spin round, especially the drives as you put the seat into up right position and the rock it backwards and forwards, put the hand break down, then spin.:rolleyes: But worth it for the extra legroom:thumbsup:

Getting into the front and back easily is one of the huge benefits of the twin captairs chairs set up. They're also more comfortable and make it feel more car like (in my Kombi)

My dog usually travels lying down in that space too

Back