Fuel Line Routing For Webasto ?

matthew durham

VIP Member
Hi I’m just fitting a Webasto st 2000 heater to a t6 . It fitted under the floor below the driver seat . What is the best route from the heater to the fuel tank and does the pump go at the heater end or tank end ?
Thanks

In the short distances that you are talking about it is immaterial as to the position of the pump as long as you have an upward slope from the pump to the heater or it is horizontal, never downwards. Pump can be up to 4ft from tank and 28ft from heater, total length no more than 33ft.
Follow the installation manual is the best advice.

IMG_3905_exported_5006865573722526880.jpg IMG_3905_exported_5006865573722526880.jpg @matthew durham here's a picture of where I fitted my fuel pump, the photo was taken prior to tidying things up before I'm judged on the installation (taken from the front looking to the rear.) The pump is located to the rear of the front passenger seat attached to the adblue trickery that the suction side of the fuel pump pipe runs under and heads off to a pick up attached in the fuel tank sender on the fuel tank, you can just make out the fuel tank in the bottom of the photo, the discharge side of the fuel pump pipework runs from the fuel pump, over the exhaust heat shield (secured in place so as not to touch the shield) to the heater fitted under the van beneath the drivers seat. Might not be text book but works perfectly in practice.

2 things incorrect there - the fuel line should be horizontal or sloping upwards from the pump to the heater to prevent any air being trapped ( yours can only go downwards to the heater if you have underslung the heater, not so though if you had mounted it internally) - with such fine bore fuel line you can affect the heat output due to insufficient fuel being able to get past a trapped air bubble and the fuel filter is the wrong way round ( you will never see if it is dirty/clogged that way round)! When the pump operates it compresses the fuel and any air dissolved in it can expand and collect on the output side as the compression eases. The installation manual does state things for a reason.
You would have done better by placing the pump closer to the heater so that you could have the outlet lower than the heater to obtain the horizontal /upward fuel line.
It may well work at present but you may have problems in the future. When people have problems with heaters that I sell 99% of the time it is because they have not adhered to the installation manual instructions! ( Too many resistance points in a multi-outlet setup, incorrect size fuel line, incorrect routing of fuel line etc.)

@oldiebut goodie The fuel line from the pumpIMG_20190117_214156.jpg is sloping upwards towards the heater hard up under the van out of shot on the left of the photo & the fuel filter pictured is fitted before the suction side of the pump in the correct direction of flow as per the manual.

Last edited:
That isn't a pukka Webasto filter, that is a cheapo Chinese one! The arrow is on the wrong way. Look closely at the filter inside the casing, it is hard up against the spigot to the right so that any fuel entering there has only a very small circle of filter that will ever work filtering the fuel. Any debris will soon block that. The fuel should enter the spigot on the left, fill the casing then have a very large filtering area to go through before entering the pump.
Trust me that is the wrong way round!

@oldiebut goodie thanks for the advice the filter was purchased off eBay as a "genuine webasto filter" obviously I've been had, I'll purchase another from a reputable source before it causes me grief :thumbsup:

Just turn it round, it is an adequate filter just that the Chinese seem to get a lot of things back to front! Ebay listings are a minefield especially the Chinese stuff, they have flooded Ebay with listings for fuel pumps that they say are suitable for Webastos - they aren't, they have around half the pumping ability of a genuine Webasto/Thomas Magnete pump. They sell motors and motor housings for Webastos but the motors are certainly unusable although the housings are a direct copy. They only work on the Chinese heaters that are Webasto copies.

I'll replace it with a genuine webasto filter as I've gone through the expense of buying a genuine heater it seems stupid to have a nasty filter that can potentially kill it for the sake of twenty odd quid.....thanks again

2 things incorrect there - the fuel line should be horizontal or sloping upwards from the pump to the heater to prevent any air being trapped ( yours can only go downwards to the heater if you have underslung the heater, not so though if you had mounted it internally) - with such fine bore fuel line you can affect the heat output due to insufficient fuel being able to get past a trapped air bubble and the fuel filter is the wrong way round ( you will never see if it is dirty/clogged that way round)! When the pump operates it compresses the fuel and any air dissolved in it can expand and collect on the output side as the compression eases. The installation manual does state things for a reason.
You would have done better by placing the pump closer to the heater so that you could have the outlet lower than the heater to obtain the horizontal /upward fuel line.
It may well work at present but you may have problems in the future. When people have problems with heaters that I sell 99% of the time it is because they have not adhered to the installation manual instructions! ( Too many resistance points in a multi-outlet setup, incorrect size fuel line, incorrect routing of fuel line etc.)
Hi
I am just in the process of fitting mine and reading your comments I’m considering fitting my pump & filter right next to the heater so I have fuel going uphill from pump to heater. Same van as the pictures you commented on and heater fitting externally under drivers side. My question is will it cause me any problems have the pump such along way from the diesel tank?

In the short distances that you are talking about it is immaterial as to the position of the pump as long as you have an upward slope from the pump to the heater or it is horizontal, never downwards. Pump can be up to 4ft from tank and 28ft from heater, total length no more than 33ft.
Follow the installation manual is the best advice.
This was for the ST model, if you are fitting an STC ( they use a different pump):

fuel.jpg

Hi all
After some advice, I have purchased a Webasto diesel heater and wanting to know if there is a fuel feed line on the tank to connect to or is a new hole required to install fuel line from heater.
Thanks.

No fuel feed that can be used unless you have a factory fit coolant heater already.
You can use the return, just take the return connector off and add a tee direct to the tank pump unit spigot. As far as we have been able to ascertain the return goes into the tank at least to the 1/4 tank level after that it may be dodgy.
Or read the manual:

Attachments

• VW_AT2000STC_T5_&_T6_Heater_Installation_manual.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 26
No fuel feed that can be used unless you have a factory fit coolant heater already.
You can use the return, just take the return connector off and add a tee direct to the tank pump unit spigot. As far as we have been able to ascertain the return goes into the tank at least to the 1/4 tank level after that it may be dodgy.
Or read the manual:
Latest info - do not use return line as there is a non-return valve that prevents taking fuel from the tank, all it does is drain the fuel line back to the engine!

Back