Front Assist Not Available

Vwgirl87

Hi all,

On the last two longish drives we've done (135 miles down to Herefordshire and back for a camping trip) the dash has flashed up with an error -

Front Assist. No sensor view

This is usually around 100 miles in. It's also happened a couple other times before this.

Does anyone else have this issue or know what's causing it? When we check the front sensor it's not dirty!?

Many thanks

There is a plastic shroud that goes around the sensor, sometimes this can come loose. It’s a flimsy thing. Try that.

I've had that ping up 3 or 4 times now (MY18) . . . . . but it always clears its self normally in a few seconds...

i just put it down to environmental conditions.

Ours pings up but then we have no way of knowing if it's reactivated or still off. Or are we missing something?

Mine flashes that error too, but normally when the sensor is either covered in bugs or dirty.

I occasionally get ‘Front assist not available’ pop up.

I put it down to some interference from the Ghost because it is more likely to occur if I have used the App to enable the start.

When I started up last night I received a warning message in the MSD that 'Front Assist is not available'. The message disappears after 5-10 seconds.

If I disable Front Assist in the menu and then re-enable the same message appears.

I had driven the van home from work about 2 hours earlier and didn't spot any issues so would appear to have occurred on my driveway whilst stationary, however it was very wet.

I checked that I hadn't picked up anything like a leave or plastic bag that would impair the sensor and this morning the same situation with a warning message on Startup.

Any ideas? Is this something that I can plug in my VCDS and clear an error message to reset or is this more physical and requires a dealer visit?

Have you switched off traction control?
Not recently, and only from the dashboard switch, So definitely enabled at the moment.

Plugged in Carista today to take a look at any fault codes but the Front Assist is fine again today.

mine does this when driving sometimes I guess its just when camera is playing stupid its mainly in road works

mine does this when driving sometimes

So does mine. Not often, but annoying when it flashes up. Then it would later seemingly be working when it brings up a warning when a car moves in front rather closely.

Warning front assist not available.

Tried the usual clean and etc, spoke to vw, broke it in, they called me, ah we cant sort that, why's that i ask? because the error code on the reader says its been unplugged.
1 - i dont know how
2 - i definitely havent
3 - my van is lowered so i cant even get to it or the connection

So how much is this going to be to fix then? oh well there i is 2 types, ones really easy, one needs aligning equipment and a lifting ramp, we dont have either....

why would a vw commercial garage not have a lifting ramp at all?

Has any one got any thoughts on this? they are addament its been unplugged, im pretty sure it hasn't... either way they want me to go to the next town an hour away and essentially pay for it to be sorted ( its sill under warranty )

is there anything im missing at all or has any one had a similar problem or issue?

Have you been through any puddles or standing water of late? I had a similar problem with mine last year, no oil temp reading and lost rear parking sensors, turns out water from a puddle had pushed a heat shield down and caused the wiring under there to short out on the hot exhaust. VW wouldn't fix under warranty (fair enough I suppose, though every other vehicle I've had can deal with a puddle from time to time) and quoted me nearly £300 to sort what took me 10 mins and cost a few quid to sort.

I had the "Front Assist - not available" today on the A1 roadworks in Newcastle. Flashed up for 5 seconds and then disappeared. I'm guessing just an environmental glitch in the system reading some messages in this thread.

I've had that a few times on the exit of the Limehouse link tunnel (London), city bound...

Not sure what triggers it, but as you say. External environmental conditions.

Well we were supposed to be picking our new T6 up today, but yesterday when the garage took it out for a final road test they realised the front sensor isn’t working and they seems to be an issue getting a new one from VW.
What is it actually for and is it needed?

Do you know the fault code?
Have you got a photo of Instrument Cluster warning/message?

Reactions: mmi
Do you know the fault code?
Have you got a photo of Instrument Cluster warning/message?
No I don’t have anything, just know there’s something wrong with it because the garage where we are getting it from rang my wife yesterday to say that we couldn’t have the van today.
If I speak to them next week I’ll ask if a code has come up and let you know.

What is it for? Is it to do with the cruise control?

Radar is your front distance measurement sensor.
Depending on factory configuration it can be:
- Front Assist -> rear end collision avoidance system
or
- Adaptive Cruise Control -> same as above plus "a sophisticated" type of cruise control.

Reactions: mmi
Back