Frightening but it happens..

Some insurance companies insist that a vehicle has to be taxed for the insurance to be valid, so i would have thought that if you had notified DVLA of a change of owner, the vehicle has become untaxed and the insurance could be void.
Nope, not exactly the case.

They may decline or partly decline a claim from the policy holder, but cannot automatically decline a claim from a third party.

Don’t forget you agreed to inform the ins Co of any relevant changes which if you haven’t makes YOU potentially liable to some degree.

What part don't you understand ?
Your car insurance might be valid? I hope it is!

Edit;

The idea that driving a car with an expired vehicle excise duty could invalidate your insurance is just ludicrous.
I've seen people cause accidents whilst drunk driving.
I've seen people cause accidents due to having defective or flat tyres.
I've seen all sorts of daft things, the insurance remained in force, (as long as it wasn't fraudulently obtained) so I can't believe that being untaxed would invalidate an insurance policy.
and I don't believe everything I read on the internet.

Last edited:
It may lead to the insurance company to decline or reducing your own claim if your drunk / no MOT etc, but they still payout for third parties, so you are correct, being left with ‘No insurance’ is the most unlikeliest of scenarios.

As @DaveD an expired or no VEL is not going invalidate your insurance.

In my early days as a Cop you quickly became aware of the 'technical no insurance' offences, ie a valid insurance policy is not valid for reasons such as not declaring points on a licence, no MOT, not producing evidence of no claims discount to insurer and failing to keep up payments.
Most of these have now been negated by modern computer systems and insurers going more stringent and talking to each other and the Police/DVLA.

Makes no sense whatsoever, sounds like nonsense to me anyway.
I can assure you it makes sense, and isn't nonsense!

We had a warehouse full of SORN'd vans when all our guys & girls were on furlough.

They weren't taxed, some had MOT's lapse but by heck we made sure that lot were insured!!!! (Fire, theft and accidental damage not on the highway...)

Check your policy is the mantra with insurance!

I can assure you it makes sense, and isn't nonsense!

We had a warehouse full of SORN'd vans when all our guys & girls were on furlough.

They weren't taxed, some had MOT's lapse but by heck we made sure that lot were insured!!!! (Fire, theft and accidental damage not on the highway...)

Check your policy is the mantra with insurance!

You manage to disagree with me then fully support my case, interesting.

Back