Fraudulent mileage on 2018 T6

david32knyte

Dear Forum

In 2021 I bought a highline T6 2018 from a private non-VW dealership - Mileage was 18K
Van was an ex rental - used as a courtesy type van so I was told - hence relatively low miles.

I have put 12K miles on the van with no probs - So stands at 30k

Took for it's 2nd service a few weeks ago to my local garage that does all my vehicles and has done for the 15 years.

The mechanic and owner of the garage told me he is pretty the mileage is fake.
(He said it is not that uncommon on these vans)

Due to the error codes appearing (Pls see attached) - also the general state / look of the engine.

I would be grateful for any input on this - I am pretty hacked off as paid quite a bit for the van - So am primed to play hell with the seller.

Many thanks

D

IMG-20220201-WA0001.jpg

I’m not sure I’d immediately jump to that conclusion. I had EGR faults at 24,000 miles which showed up as NOx Catalyst Below Efficiency, Insufficient EGR flow and Reductant (AdBlue) Performance Faults. I’ve also seen low mileage engines that look really dirty too (I had my crank pulley seal done at 39k).

Any other damning evidence indicating a mileage irregularity? Had it had an MOT with a higher mileage? Wear to interior etc?

Last edited:
I had this on my old caddy bought it when 2 years old Mileage read 25,000 no reason to doubt van was in good nick also done vehicle check online nothing flagged up! Took it to vw main dealer 6 months later to enquire about a new key fob! When gave them reg number they said they had van in 8 months earlier for recall with clock reading 50,000 miles! If clocks altered before first mot who’s to know any different? I would see if vans been to main dealer for any work! All that being said was most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned never let me down and sailed through her mots in the 10 years I owned it

I’m not sure I’d immediately jump to that conclusion. I had EGR faults at 24,000 miles which showed up as NOx Catalyst Below Efficiency, Insufficient EGR flow and Reductant (AdBlue) Performance Faults. I’ve also seen low mileage engines that look really dirty too (I had my crank pulley seal done at 39k).

Any other damning evidence indicating a mileage irregularity? Had it had an MOT with a higher mileage? Wear to interior etc?
Thanks for your reply. OK interesting to hear.
Appreciate your views.

I would probably let it slide, but the mechanic who alerted me to it seemed quite certain that the mileage had been diddled when I pressed him.
He is very experienced and IMO completely trustworthy.
However, it is a hard one to call.

I had this on my old caddy bought it when 2 years old Mileage read 25,000 no reason to doubt van was in good nick also done vehicle check online nothing flagged up! Took it to vw main dealer 6 months later to enquire about a new key fob! When gave them reg number they said they had van in 8 months earlier for recall with clock reading 50,000 miles! If clocks altered before first mot who’s to know any different? I would see if vans been to main dealer for any work! All that being said was most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned never let me down and sailed through her mots in the 10 years I owned it
Hi - I checked with VW and they had no record of the vehicle being serviced or recalled.
Servicing was done 'In house'

I had presumed that a 2018 VW van with a digital mileage read out would be un tamperable - Turns out quite the opposite is true.
If people can - they will.

Hi - I checked with VW and they had no record of the vehicle being serviced or recalled.
Servicing was done 'In house'

I had presumed that a 2018 VW van with a digital mileage read out would be un tamperable - Turns out quite the opposite is true.
If people can - they will.
Facebook is full of criminals bar stewards advertising “mileage correction”
Caveat Emptor

I nearly bought a written off t5.1 from a mates company. It had done 135k. In the end i didn't buy it and the insurance company disposed of it. I happened to check on the mot history site and it had lost 100k of its mileage and been converted to a motorhome. The following year, the mot mileage confirmed that it wasn't an error.

Does it have previous owner (company) on log book? As dealers don’t generally register there selfs as owners or am I completely wrong?

someone else had a similar EGR/ DPF issue the cooler was full of crap and needed cleaning/replacement so i wouldnt read too much into mileage clocking based on the faults. I know someone that needed a new EGR after 30k

I am now worried about my 2017 T6 with only 19K miles on it. The pedals look fine but the gear knob looks knackered, has that happened to anyone else?

6702B4D3-F0D1-4E87-8023-DBD501B2B31A.jpeg

I'll stick with my rubber one now i've seen the state of the leather ones !

someone else had a similar EGR/ DPF issue the cooler was full of crap and needed cleaning/replacement so i wouldnt read too much into mileage clocking based on the faults. I know someone that needed a new EGR after 30k
I fitted a new one at about 34k IIRC.

none of the error codes are related to mileage correction so its very hard to jump to that conclusion straight away. you would need to have a vcds scan of the vehicle to know for sure, id be more inclined to think that its been used for short journeys multiple times so the egr has got clogged up, which would fit in more with the courtesy style usage.

If you read that in isolation, you would start questioning what sort of forum you had wandered into!
Indeed! I had visions of Grandma in a gimp mask and marigolds (to disguise her rough hands, naturally!)

Back