Forest Camping

stu3467

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi any suggestions for camping sites similar to the Sandringham club site? Looking for somewhere that is in a forest or woods with good long walks straight from the site .Done the camping in the forest sites New Forest ,Bracelands,Postern Hill ,all very good and perfect for walking on short breaks when you don't really want to be driving about to find walks Haven't tried Sherwood yet ! opinions on that would be good .Preferably somewhere through the centre of the country out to both coasts including Wales .Living dead centre of the country tend to head either far North or South and not check out what is within 100 miles of home .

I’ve never been here and I really have an aversion to the gravel / square hedge type campsites.
This is on my to do list

I have been here.... it is simply brilliant. Great facilities, small safe site.
Table tennis table in a open barn.

Location was good. Owner really friendly.

This was our pitch... each pitch has a covered picnic table and bark chipings on the floor.

IMG_3452 Large.jpeg

Last edited:
Tackeroo in Cannock Chase is decent. No toilet facilities but great location for walking in the woods.

Last edited:

Stayed here before, north wales so maybe out of your search area but fits your other requirements. Also the pitches are under trees which is not ideal imo

We have just booked here for feb:

But that’s in the Forest of Dean just down the road from bracelands.

Stayed here before, north wales so maybe out of your search area but fits your other requirements. Also the pitches are under trees which is not ideal imo

We have just booked here for feb:

But that’s in the Forest of Dean just down the road from bracelands.
Thats a great site with some great walks in that area.

OP mentioned Sherwood Pines - IMHO its excellent. One of favourites so far as the facilities are pretty much new, wardens were excellent and let us choose a pitch, and you can literally walk from many pitches straight into the forest. Not cheap but we had a great stay.
There is also a Wareham Forest site right on the edge of the forest itself - not quite as direct access but close.

Cheers @Bigpikle the site looks in a great spot just wasnt sure as it looked a bit too open ,probably on my "To Visit " list this year even if its just a long weekend

There is a big open central area but also several 'avenues' tucked away where the pitches literally back onto the tree and with a few footpaths directly into the forest. We were given the choice which we wanted as it was quiet when we went.
One other highlight was free heated drying lockers in case you have wet stuff. Like a heated wardrobe you can lock your stuff in - brilliant!

Back