For the tradesman; how much disruption is considered acceptable?

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
Okay I'm REALLY starting to get peed off with the house opposite us. They decided to build a "small extension" which was meant to take 2-3 months. Because the Council here is more corrupt than a Trump party congressman, almost anything goes as far as holiday homes (meanwhile countless local plans get turned down).
Anyway ten MONTHS later, the road is jammed with vans (10 on Monday) constantly blocking our exit, they are making a freaking racket angle grinding tiles (or something) and generally driving us nuts - all for some holiday home w*****r that was happy to tell me it's simply all to add to the value of his house.

This is usually a very quiet street, he's already partially blocked our view of the sea and despite speaking to the builders (who just get ar5ey), nowt is changing.

Is there some unwritten rule that it's fine to make others lives a misery in the name of making a few quid?

This entire place is being utterly wrecked with unchecked holiday home development thanks to the most corrupt council in the UK (the exact words of a well known lawyer who is investigating them).

Complain to the council about the disruption and noise moan at the police about the parking and the council too

Would of thought the more trades that were there, the quicker it will be finished.

If they block your entrance, contact police, or arrange for them to be blocked in at home time...

Would also be worth checking the plans that were given permission and make sure the builders are sticking to them.

Having the same issue here in our road. 3 phase electrical supply is being extended from the main road to a house at the top of our road which a developer has purchased to convert into 3 flats. No thought to parking or the disturbance this build has caused all the neighbours. I can accept that people buy property as an investment and I was ok about moving my truck when over sized lorries turned up to deliver material (the road is a cul de sac) but starting work on the road at 8.30 am Sunday morning with grinders and blocking the road is not acceptable. Made them move and yesterday reported it to the local Environmental Health dept, they arent allowed to block the road, access must be permissable at all times. To add insult to injury there are signs up saying no parking in the street which ran out a week ago, told the developer to go back to the council and get the restriction re-applied for as his contractors have over run on the job. I know I'm starting to sound like Victor Meldrew but, all it would have took is a knock on the door or note to apologies in advance for any disturbance or inconvience caused by the developer/owner, arrogant T32T:mad:

Last edited:
There will be planning stipulations eg working hours which they are allowed to work on the site usually 8-5 mon-Fri sat mornings no sundays you should be able to find these out through planning and then its up to planning to enforce
Small jobs they dont bother about larger jobs they will enforce
unfortunately you cant do nothing about the noise or disturbance, just complain to either the builder or planning
Being a site foreman i have to deal with the public and in the end up the job has to get done its just how much consideration you give to other people you cant keep everyone happy

Having the same issue here in our road. 3 phase electrical supply is being extended from the main road to a house at the top of our road which a developer has purchased to convert into 3 flats. No thought to parking or the disturbance this build has caused all the neighbours. I can accept that people buy property as an investment and I was ok about moving my truck when over sized lorries turned up to deliver material (the road is a cul de sac) but starting work on the road at 8.30 am Sunday morning with grinders and blocking the road is not acceptable. Made them move and yesterday reported it to the local Environmental Health dept, they arent allowed to block the road, access must be permissable at all times. To add insult to injury there are signs up saying no parking in the street which ran out a week ago, told the developer to go back to the council and get the restriction re-applied for as his contractors have over run on the job. I know I'm starting to sound like Victor Meldrew but, all it would have took is a knock on the door or note to apologies in advance for any disturbance or inconvience caused by the developer/owner, arrogant T32T:mad:
Exactly the same here. No polite chat to tell us he was about to royally bugger our lives up for months on end, nothing. We had got on okay but he can go F himself now.
Definitely something about housing, particularly holiday housing, that turns normal decent people into total selfish A-holes.

Build for need not greed.
And a home is for life not just for August.

Two lines that are very appropriate here.
The local building firms seem to think that because they employ local people, they have a license to be complete to55ers.

I always remember sitting in a pub with my Dad near Bala (we were staying at the same camp site some of us are attending this weekend for the T6 meet) in the mid 80's and having a drunken late night conversation with a group of locals - went along the lines of "if you buy a house over here and come to live in it, we'll welcome you with open arms, but, buy one as a holiday home and we'll burn it down!". They may have been drunk but against the backdrop of what was happening with holiday homes in the late 70's, early 80's in Wales we were pretty sure they meant it. Can't condone arson but can understand what drove people to it!!

I always remember sitting in a pub with my Dad near Bala (we were staying at the same camp site some of us are attending this weekend for the T6 meet) in the mid 80's and having a drunken late night conversation with a group of locals - went along the lines of "if you buy a house over here and come to live in it, we'll welcome you with open arms, but, buy one as a holiday home and we'll burn it down!". They may have been drunk but against the backdrop of what was happening with holiday homes in the late 70's, early 80's in Wales we were pretty sure they meant it. Can't condone arson but can understand what drove people to it!!

The very shouty tourist industry has managed to convince most people we "need" these part timers who after buying a house contribute nothing to the community. We're nearly at 90% holiday home ownership here.
Its a great place by the sea but a corrupt (and I mean PROPERLY corrupt) planning department and a select few greedy sods means it's being utterly wrecked by vile glass leviathans that aren't built for the marine environment and are empty 50 weeks a year.

Ain't capitalism great? No it's not. It's cr4p.

Last edited:
Polzeylad........withhold your council tax for as long as you can. See if you can get your neighbours to do the same.....if they live there, that is! It might just attract someone's attention!!! Feeling your pain mate!! :(

Polzeylad........withhold your council tax for as long as you can. See if you can get your neighbours to do the same.....if they live there, that is! It might just attract someone's attention!!! Feeling your pain mate!! :(
I've already been on the radio about it but I'm building a case about illegal section 106 charges the Council has been charging but then disappears; adds up to about £15m. I'm working with a famous litigation lawyer on it.

I intend to kick their corrupt backsides very hard.

There is certainly a school of thought which suggested nearly all Councillors are "In It for themselves", and the planning committee is the "Lowest of Low"; many planning consultants are retired Councillors from the Planning Committee, who can then move away from Corrupt Back Handers to Vastly inflated Hourly rates which they can charge to influence the Committee through their old friends; and So it goes on. A complete disgrace:mad::mad::mad:

Interesting stuff @chriscroft
The ones I have spoken to have been script reading idiots. Worrying how much financial influence they wield.

Not against building for need but this continual flouting of policies and laws (e.g. A vast percentage of the Right to Buy sales were unscrupulous buy to let landlords) has to stop.

Our bonkers housing market is breaking UK society. All to make a few greedy sods more money while killing any chances for the millions that actually need a house.

Unfortunately, the Councils are now on their arses financially, so all the fees that thy can get for Planning, and Building Control become really important to them. Followed by the increased Annual Council Tax for a new or extended dwelling; combined with fewer services costs for part time dwellers who's kids go to school elsewhere etc etc.
It is a Perfect storm for residents of touristy areas.:thumbsdown:

Polzeylad they will be given working hours that they must adhere too when planing consent is given, it's the planning enforcement officer you need to pester, get his name, take photos/videos and harass the hell out of him, if nothing seems to improve ask for his bosses name and then go to the press, a company local to me got a 17k fine a few months back over breaking the permitted working hours, ps I am a site manager and the planning enforcement up here take no crap, good luck

For any of us living next to the sea in the South down it just gets worse with all of the DFL's ( Down From London,s) we have villages here on the Isle of Wight just taken over in the same way, houses bought and used as crew houses during Cowes week then dead for the rest of the year.
I had the same thing in our last house with early starts for the builders when they first started, we continually contacted the Council until it was sorted, now no builder will start until after 8.00 am I think you just have to be a continual pain in their side.
Look whats happened down in the Hams same there, not good though.
The other problem is they think they own all the Pubs & Restaurants for 2months as well as though they live there.

The very shouty tourist industry has managed to convince most people we "need" these part timers who after buying a house contribute nothing to the community. We're nearly at 90% holiday home ownership here.
Its a great place by the sea but a corrupt (and I mean PROPERLY corrupt) planning department and a select few greedy sods means it's being utterly wrecked by vile glass leviathans that aren't built for the marine environment and are empty 50 weeks a year.

Ain't capitalism great? No it's not. It's cr4p.

Its the same in many coastal towns. Whitstable is a prime example, beautiful little village where house prices have risen due to DFL's buying them to spend at best a week in once a year.

I spent four years taking photos on site of a redevelopment of hospital in our village. The main building was restored into flats and the ground had housing built on them. One evening I read on a forum that the hospital was on fire so next day I phoned the site Forman to find out more. Turns out it was not the hospital that was on fire but one of the new builds. Some kids had snuck through the fence at the bottom of the site and set one of the houses on fire. They barred me from taking photos but they totalled two houses which had to be torn down and rebuilt. Strange things happen at night

Back