Fitting and removal of bulkhead ??

Crossyt6

Good evening , I have a single sliding T6 Kombi and when removal or fitting the bulkhead I really do seem to make hard work of it !! Anyone got an easy way of doing it

I'm in the same boat. I need to remove mine but have never done it and can't figure out how. I have removed the rear seats. Tips appreciated

Yeah it’s pretty awkward. I removed the single seat (and double seat another time)and managed to get it in eventually but it is a tight fit for sure. I just think I am making hard work out of it and wonder if there is a simple way to do it ??

I’ve tried both. Rear door it slides in due to the shape of it but I’ve also gone in via the side door which is a bit more awkward but with the seats out is doable.
no idea which method is supposed to be used

I'm about to tackle my bulkhead and remove it, it looks easy enough but undoing the nut and bolts around the edges, I have no rear seats (its a panel van), Is it that simple, or can I naive ?

The upper half is bolted in, as is the lower half. However the lower half leaves threaded studs in place which are welded to the van.

We remove the seats, all plastics and then a combination of grinding, air sanding the welds to remove the threaded studs. Not a 5 minute job. I’ve seen people leave the stud in place and even bend over the studs but this looks poor and not a good job.

Also don’t forget that the roof panel will be too short once the bulkhead is removed.

Good luck,
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ladies and gents, I’m replying here as I’ve used a lot of the forum for a quick look at jobs before I start them.

I consider myself pretty handy with the tools, but a word of warning on this bullheaded removal - I’ve just done my panel van, a Dec 21 build and the lower rail, and lower side rails were VERY well welded in, not only were there spot welds but also 5 or 6 full pen stitch welds (about 1” long) and the top and bottom of the lower sides were also welded in. Thereafter the whole seam was seam sealed - was all factory paint also. The seam sealer needed removing with a seal scraper (I used the snap on screw driver handled type, it’s to much for a ‘normal’ type scraper and it won’t come away from the sealer just pulling it)

Now, my van was a pre reg’d / not ordered and does appear to have some curiosities - such as pre installed seat belt mounts, so it may be that during the various lockdowns, wars and supply chain hassle that it’s a bitsa, or it may be that they’re building them more like ford (the transhit has everything in it for combi conversions - wiring, mounts etc) so they can tweak later in the build process. Anyway, getting the bulkhead out (I’m swapping for a Motexion) was a proper job. It made a bit more of a mess than in the above photos (which looks a lovely job, and a dealer would likely leave it looking a bit scabbier than that!)

I’m not without the kit, skills or mindset, but this wasn’t an easy task and has taken me three or four hours, and you can 100% tell I’ve been at it with big pry bars and the angle grinder. The last like I removed took me about two (and looked as above)

Back