Fake water pump ????

Van Buddy

204 Kombi 4motion 2017MY
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have just had a Gates water pump fail after 4 k. Looking like it may be a copy/fake.
If anyone has a genuine Gates pump, old or new, please could send me some pictures of it. I’m still looking for the box which is another good indicator, as shown on Gates web site.
Thanks.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that, I went on a course to recognise fake Cisco parts and the copies are so good (in a bad sort of way) it can very very hard to tell.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that, I went on a course to recognise fake Cisco parts and the copies are so good (in a bad sort of way) it can very very hard to tell.

I had a fake ASA back in the day, the plastic wasn't quite right, but it had completely the wrong CPU. There was always tales of the Foxconn employees and their skim off the real line......

SFPs are the worst....

fake cisco.jpg

22yr CCIE :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have just had a Gates water pump fail after 4 k. Looking like it may be a copy/fake.
If anyone has a genuine Gates pump, old or new, please could send me some pictures of it. I’m still looking for the box which is another good indicator, as shown on Gates web site.
Thanks.

Where did you buy it?

Big parts supplier on flea bay. I’ve been in contact and it looks as if they will give a refund on receipt of parts, nothing more.

Big parts supplier on flea bay. I’ve been in contact and it looks as if they will give a refund on receipt of parts, nothing more.
They shouldn't underestimate the reputational damage they'd suffer if you decided to identify them on a publicly available forum. :rolleyes:

There’s no limits on what gets counterfeited, about 15 years ago I received an alert regarding fake Crosby heavy lifting equipment.

Back in the dark ages, I was in a job when we had a batch of Chinese knock off AK47s for evaluation (all legal and above board - I worked for the MOD!). The first thing that we had to do before use was to strip them down go over most of the steel edges / corners with a file. Some of them were sharp enough to shave with.

I think I managed to get hold of a knock off VW van. Even though it was brand new when I got it, I've had to replace the lights inside and out, the tyres, the suspension, the seats, loads of the interior trim and there's still a list as long as my arm that needs doing to get it something like how it should be.

Back