Factory Tow Bar - Checking What Should Be There...

czmate1999

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi All,

Just got the van back from convertors, very happy and a bit of a build thread coming, but just wanted to double check i got everything back for the tow bar - not having overly paid much attention to it when it was bolted to the back of the van.

Please could someone conform what should be there. currently i have the foam case and the actual tow bar (no cables or instructions), is this right?

Just want to double check.

Many thanks

CZ.

Sounds right. The instruction are in the van handbook.

You should also have 2 red keys (taped to the tow ball?) and a plastic cap on the ball.

Sounds right. The instruction are in the van handbook.

You should also have 2 red keys (taped to the tow ball?) and a plastic cap on the ball.
This is what I have. One key is already inserted... can’t seem to remove it... I can give it a quarter turn but it won't come out. also the handle it is attached to does not turn either... Am i missing something?

C07D1004-8C62-42EA-BAA6-33D19D11AE43.jpeg

Push the bar into the socket on the van and it will give a positive click. Once done turn the key to the lock position with the arrow remove it and put in safe place.

To remove the bar turn the key to unlock position. Pull and then turn the handle to remove the bar.

There should be a plastic plug in the van at the moment to keep the dirt out, just swap this over when using or not using the bar

HTH

This is what I have. One key is already inserted... can’t seem to remove it... I can give it a quarter turn but it won't come out. also the handle it is attached to does not turn either... Am i missing something?

View attachment 63758

And grease on your carpet :) on mine the end the pushes into the bracket on the van was liberally coated with grease!

I got a 13 to 7 pin converter as well.

I don't think that is a standard VW item. They are chip as chips anyway and usually obtained if required when you purchase something to attach to your towbar that only has the old 7 pin plug; i.e. trailer, caravan, lighting board or bike carrier.

Back