External 12v Socket & Usb (waterproof Of Course) - Ideas Please

scotia

Mechanical engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello,
This might be better in the camping section but then maybe not?

We currently have an external 12v socket (for our fridge when in camping mode, works a treat) that i put on an alu bracket that mounts quite neatly by the towball electrics. I'd like to add the usb now as we have some outside lights that run off usb...

This got me to the cable run... i put it under the van coming from the passenger seat (ours is LHD) and it runs in a heatproof protection to the back in as neat a way possible..

Ideally i'd like to have a mounting plate that has these two sockets near our sliding door (passenger side on our van) as this would be the most useful when camping, and keep the cable neater. But all the undercarriage plastic has to be able to come off in case of maintenance so im struggling to find a nice fixing point.

Any ideas? anyone done sth similar?

thanks in advance!

@Dellmassive , @Deaky @Fish do you guys know anything? an optimum position for this? or is the towbar electrics the bast place?! i'd like to get the cable run a little cleaner if i can..

Do you have ad-blue?. If not behind filler cap?.
Front wheel arch by fog lamp plastic hatch.
Inside edge of sidebars(if you have any).

To name a couple locations...

@Fish i knew you'd have some ideas i hadnt thought of..! :)
i have adblue, dont have sidebars and i do have fogs but they came with the new bumper and we dont have the access hatch...

i'll have a think if i can get them to the rear wheel arch and do anything there..if not then i'll just clean up the cable run near the spare wheel (i dont like how i did it) and keep them at the rear - it seems to be out of the way of road spray and is out of the way of rain when we're camping (been tested to extreme in france this holidays!).

apart from that, where do sidebars fix to?
i could fix a bracket to the same fixing point (my wife isnt keen on sidebars and i doubt i'd be able to source them here anyway!).. but im curious with the underchassis plastic..

There are removable grommets in the cill that bolts clamp into..

You can always go pass side step.. and run cable down past bottom of down corner when connected.

20180701_203543.jpg

ok thats great, i think i'll have a look to fit a bracket to the rear wheel one, then its the most out of the way when camping and the door is open for example..

i'l see if i can post up some pictures when done (wont be v quick - we're on swiss national holiday wknd here...)

thanks for the input guys!

cheers

My external electricity connections are under front bumper just in front of front wheel splash guard - pointing to the side. The bracket is fixed by existing bumper screws. The location is actually quite dry and free of dust and dirt. It doesn't interfere even with bumper removal.
T6_entry_point.jpg

Back