Exposed bulkhead screws

Hi, a new member to the forum and first time VW owner so thanks in advance for any help and advice!

I have recently bought a T6 kombi and have noticed there are some exposed screws in front of the rear seats (I assume where the bulkhead would have been?)

Is there a way of covering these?

Thanks!

528A873F-8C48-42C3-B12E-3D97BC5289E8.jpeg

FEF97DD0-9AC8-4B37-85D7-67699EF31867.jpeg

You can get rubber screw covers but if you don’t want them I’d cut them flush and touch in of cover the lip with trim

You’re right - they’re the remnants of the bulkhead. Most people remove that strip - it’ll need cutting out. Or just do as Niknak suggests, to save you removing carpeting etc.

Did you buy the van converted?

Hi, a new member to the forum and first time VW owner so thanks in advance for any help and advice!

I have recently bought a T6 kombi and have noticed there are some exposed screws in front of the rear seats (I assume where the bulkhead would have been?)

Is there a way of covering these?

Thanks!

View attachment 99009

View attachment 99010

Agree that it looks like the bolts from a panel van bulkhead. They can come out by grinding off the spot welds for a more smooth finish. My son removed his on his van last weekend.

IMG_20201230_113343__01.jpgIMG_20201230_113425__01.jpg

I think you might struggle to get rid of the bracket now without stripping it back. You need to grind the welds like @$immo said but it's literally like playing with fire..

I think you might struggle to get rid of the bracket now without stripping it back. You need to grind the welds like @$immo said but it's literally like playing with fire..
I have also removed these with a sharp chisel and some heavy hits with a hammer along the spot welds. This may work in your case, to avoid any damage to the carpeted areas. It's easier if you remove the plastic trim around the seatbelt. You may be able to do the floor welds with the seats still in place, but much easier if you unbolt them (8 bolts on double passenger & 4 bolts on drivers base - 16mm)
Welcome to the forum as well by the way.

Yep, worth a shot but be careful that the weld doesn't rip out the area it's attached to

I took mine out using tin snips then wiggling the strip back and forth, once metal fatigue cuts in they break off around the welds, no grinding needed

Thanks for all your responses, really appreciate it. I am a bit worried now about safety concerns (my daughter will be travelling in the rear seats). Is it worth getting VW, or a good mechanic to look over the seat fixing to the floor and the seatbelt installation, to be sure on safety?

Thanks for all your responses, really appreciate it. I am a bit worried now about safety concerns (my daughter will be travelling in the rear seats). Is it worth getting VW, or a good mechanic to look over the seat fixing to the floor and the seatbelt installation, to be sure on safety?
What makes you ask?

I'm sure your Van is perfectly safe, however worth checking. A Factory Kombi will have factory fitted sliding windows, there is hardly anyone fitting these aftermarket in panel vans. Post a couple of pics up of your side windows from outside and inside and people on here should be able to advise you of its origins. It could be your Kombi was specifically made with a bulkhead.

What makes you ask?
I suppose it’s a mix of inexperience with the van side of things and a few years of dealing with people who suffered pretty serious injuries in road traffic accidents - makes me super cautious in some cases. Just wondered if installing rear seats and seatbelts in the van is pretty standard/straightforward or if it’s the kind of job an expert would need to do (the kind of expert who wouldn’t leave the lip/screws exposed).

I'm sure your Van is perfectly safe, however worth checking. A Factory Kombi will have factory fitted sliding windows, there is hardly anyone fitting these aftermarket in panel vans. Post a couple of pics up of your side windows from outside and inside and people on here should be able to advise you of its origins. It could be your Kombi was specifically made with a bulkhead.
Thanks, I’ll take some pics when the sun is up. Windows aren’t sliding though, so I suspect it’s a panel van.

Last edited:
I suppose it’s a mix of inexperience with the van side of things and a few years of dealing with people who suffered pretty serious injuries in road traffic accidents - makes me super cautious in some cases. Just wondered if installing rear seats and seatbelts in the van is pretty standard/straightforward or if it’s the kind of job an expert would need to do (the kind of expert who wouldn’t leave the lip/screws exposed).
That’s a fair point. I did once read a post on here about someone who found their seats were only screwed down to the ply. I guess you’re thinking that l, if someone has cut corners by not taking the whole bulkhead out, then they may have not done other things properly?
Get it checked over for peace of mind, or check yourself / post photos here

That’s a fair point. I did once read a post on here about someone who found their seats were only screwed down to the ply. I guess you’re thinking that l, if someone has cut corners by not taking the whole bulkhead out, then they may have not done other things properly?
Get it checked over for peace of mind, or check yourself / post photos here
Thanks - I will get some pics and perhaps get VW to have a look too. Fingers crossed all will be good!

It's a good point a probably something worth considering if you buy and don't build.

I recently moved to Germany and got my van TÜV approved to register it here. The way the process works is that manufacturers of modifications have to have a safety certificate assigned for use in that vehicle. For instance the wheels have to be registered for that vehicle and if you have coilovers it must state that they're for use with lowered suspension. All of this is checked through the test which is similar to the mot. I had to remove my wheels and solow suspension and change for something TUV approved. Fortunately, the Skyline roof, Kiravans Swivel and Rusty Lee bed are TÜV approved (there is one that's M1).

To be honest it made me think about safety. Me and my family are in the bus it needs to be safe and tested as such. At first I thought it was over the top but when you think about it, it should be the minimum requirement. Any mods I buy for any car from now on will be TÜV approved

Back