Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensors

jt999

Hi all,

I had a flashing coil light come on, plus the engine management light - ran a check on VCDS and tried to clear but it came back right away, so tried Carista too and same problem.

A shortened version of the VCDS output:
4 Faults Found:
4911 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor; B1 S3
P242A 00 [175] - Malfunction
4912 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4 Bank 1
P246E 00 [175] - Electrical Malfunction
5257 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor; B1 S3
P242A 00 [175] - Malfunction
5258 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4 Bank 1
P246E 00 [175] - Electrical Malfunction

Van is a 2012 T5.1 Sportline (2.0 Bi-Tdi 180BHP)

Looking under the van the issue became clear (should have done that before I wasted time reading and erasing codes)! Wires aren't meant to be dragging on the road with nothing attached :)
Not sure how this has happened to be honest, was fine the day before, perhaps an animal decided to have a root around.

4B579326-0B3A-4A09-805D-DD67B166A2FD.jpg
AD3F533D-B611-4B4B-8706-4689449AF0BE.jpg

Now I'm a bit confused (and not mechanical I'm afraid!), there are 2 plugs I'm unsure of, one hanging down with the brown socket on the end (I think that's actually the plug to the missing end of the wire, and also there is a wire hanging down onto the road.

I can also see a sensor with a broken wire.
Presumably I need a new sensor, can anyone provide the part number for that?
Which plug would the sensor attach to?
What does the other plug attach to? I can't see anywhere obviously missing a wire.

I believe the sensor part number is 03K906088B and has an orange plug , this is the bank 1 sensor 4 fault
The bank 1 sensor 3 fault is the brown plug being disconnected from the brown socket foe sensor 3 which is before the DPF.
The two plugs are normally cable tied next to each other where your trailing wire is fastened to the engine sub frame.
Hope this helps as hard to see full from photos.
regards D

Thank you @DJHJKH
In that case I wonder if one broke, caught something in the road and ripped the other one out with it (pre and post DPF, assuming bank 1 sensor 4 is the one after DPF)

I'll try to locate the pre-DPF one to see what sort of state it's in, though it's tricky without ramps! Do you know if the sensors are all the same part number, just located in different spots? I'm sure VW don't make it that easy but thought I'd ask!
I did try to find some sort of schematic that shows the exhaust system and part numbers (I've done before for various other bits) but can't for the life of me find anything useful

Yes the b1 s4 is the snapped one & normally is plugged in just above where the brown plug is hanging. The sensors are different if b1 s3 is damaged that is the brown plug and you will have to have a hunt around for that one as I am not sure of a part number for that sensor.

Thank you both, I've just been out to double check my thinking and can see the one pre-DPF cable broke not far from the plug, with the 2 wires being connected by a clip I guess the clip came out and ripped them both out, or the one post-DPF broke and the action of it being dragged down the road broke the pre-DPF one. Wiring is 9 years old at this point so a little brittle I guess.

The pre-DPF one looks like it's going to be a nightmare to change!

I note that the CFCA shows 2 part codes for both senders (parts 5 and 6), but one of each says a colour (brown/orange) - are they the same as the ones listed without a colour? Or are the colour ones for 4Motion+ vans only?

Thank you for your help on this, I got some sensors from eBay using the part numbers in the picture @mmi put up and they were spot on, wasn't a hard job aside from trying to find somewhere to lift the van with the trolley jack!

Seems happy now!

Hi all
i have a bit of a different problem that I am still trying to solve
I have had help from other members on here so far but I have had it plugged into the machine at the garage and this is what we found

Exhaust Gas Temperature Control Upstream of Turbine,...0(C) :650.0
the problem I have is that the electric pumps won’t turn off.
it’s not the only thing that flattens the battery as I have removed the fuse for the pumps and still flat next day.

Back