Essential must have's

Colin123

I'm collecting my T6 next week, (Camper King St Tropez), and as it's coming from a dealer it's totally as converted, there is literally nothing in the way of accessories in it. I have a list of obvious things like cutlery and cooking stuff ... but the list then goes on (and on). Which from the following would anyone (with more experience than me) class as essential ... and which as nice or don't bother. There may be other things that should be on the essential list or that others would recommend!

Nano Tracker (unless supplied by the insurance company)
Stoplock Pro (Steering wheel security device)
Matress topper (for downstairs in particular)
Inverter
Drive away awning
Porta Potti 365?

Pointers appreciated!

Cheers, Colin

Very much depends on how long you will spend in the van at a time and if you use campsites or not.

Very much depends on how long you will spend in the van at a time and if you use campsites or not.
Good point. Odd days or 2 and then a 10 day to 2 week trip or two in nicer weather. It has a solar panel. Campsites say 50% of the time.

I pretty much never use campsites.
Blackout curtain between cab and rear. Use with cab window wind deflectors for ventilation.
Bucket, doesn’t take up space as usually has other stuff inside it. Laundry, washing up, shower water, etc.
Red light filter to avoid attracting attention at night.
Welcome to the Double Skillet Pan Company Get an extra lid and you’ll have two pans and a makeshift oven.

Remember it’s a small van and less is more. Personally I’d stick the portapotti up for sale before it’s used.

Before going too mad with the wallet - I'd do a few weekend trips first and work it out for yourselves. It's taken us about 10 years to figure what we need and don't need and given the size constraints of a T6 everything has to earn its place. Totally agree about the portapotti - get rid before too late. The only thing I'd agree with on your list might be the mattress topper - but again check that it can fold away easily.

I pretty much never use campsites.
Blackout curtain between cab and rear. Use with cab window wind deflectors for ventilation.
Bucket, doesn’t take up space as usually has other stuff inside it. Laundry, washing up, shower water, etc.
Red light filter to avoid attracting attention at night.
Welcome to the Double Skillet Pan Company Get an extra lid and you’ll have two pans and a makeshift oven.

Remember it’s a small van and less is more. Personally I’d stick the portapotti up for sale before it’s used.
Thanks for that ... the portapotti has moved down/off the list!

We bought a drive away air awning (divorce maker) which we have used twice this year. Most of our trips are a couple of days where it is just too much hassle to put it up. The Fiamma F45s is all we tend to use and the Jormax windbreak if it's a bit windy woo! If we were to pitch up for a week somewhere it would be useful. Certainly not the most useful purchase ever... The Cadac has probably been the most useful purchase for all our cookery, we will boil a kettle in the van but never prepare food/cook in there. Our sink is used as a bread bin. I really want a hotty boily/chilled water tap, we could lose the kettle then, more room for another wine box or two.

As @DXX says… wind deflectors for me are critical. Get used to sleeping with the front windows open about 1cm and you will never get a moisture problem with a van that’s been properly insulated. A blackout system for ALL windows and as previously mentioned a cab curtain. My favourite hack is a little device I’ve bought off Amazon that holds down those silly little press buttons in campsite showers for you… a much more enjoyable experience.

In terms of drive away awning… Im a fan personally over the awnings… I use a very basic Olpro inflatable… up and pegged in 5 mins. You don’t need a big beast, just a small square one. You can buy a drive away strip that goes between the awning and the awning rail so when you are ready to drive away you just slide it out. Also, run way strips to mark where your wheels were so when you drive back and park the awning is the exact distance it should be.

The best bit of advice is to be super patient, use the van and then buy it if you feel like you’ve missed it

As @DXX says… wind deflectors for me are critical. Get used to sleeping with the front windows open about 1cm and you will never get a moisture problem with a van that’s been properly insulated. A blackout system for ALL windows and as previously mentioned a cab curtain. My favourite hack is a little device I’ve bought off Amazon that holds down those silly little press buttons in campsite showers for you… a much more enjoyable experience.

In terms of drive away awning… Im a fan personally over the awnings… I use a very basic Olpro inflatable… up and pegged in 5 mins. You don’t need a big beast, just a small square one. You can buy a drive away strip that goes between the awning and the awning rail so when you are ready to drive away you just slide it out. Also, run way strips to mark where your wheels were so when you drive back and park the awning is the exact distance it should be.

The best bit of advice is to be super patient, use the van and then buy it if you feel like you’ve missed it
What's that little device for showers @Snowdawg ? That really would be useful!

I'm collecting my T6 next week, (Camper King St Tropez), and as it's coming from a dealer it's totally as converted, there is literally nothing in the way of accessories in it. I have a list of obvious things like cutlery and cooking stuff ... but the list then goes on (and on). Which from the following would anyone (with more experience than me) class as essential ... and which as nice or don't bother. There may be other things that should be on the essential list or that others would recommend!

Nano Tracker (unless supplied by the insurance company)
Stoplock Pro (Steering wheel security device)
Matress topper (for downstairs in particular)
Inverter
Drive away awning
Porta Potti 365?

Pointers appreciated!

Cheers, Colin
Got an inverter, never use it.
Had 2 awnings, gave up on them , PITA imho. Now have an awning rail sun canopy.
Have a Porta Potti 365, never been used in 7 years of ownership.
We consider ourselves “heavy duty” campers, spending around 100nights/year in the van, winter & summer.
Just my 2 penneth.

We consider ourselves “heavy duty” campers, spending around 100nights/year in the van, winter & summer.
Just my 2 penneth.
Thanks ... sounds like keep it simple and enjoy it more!

Thanks ... the curtains seem to be getting further up the list!

Just my 2 penneth.
We couldn't live in the van without an inverter! Induction hob, wifey hair straighteners, coffee machine, toaster, laptop charging, anything really pluggable innable! Even used a hammer drill at busfest to plant a superstake for the flagpole in rock hard ground. As long as you have a decent leisure battery the 3 pin plug is your friend! Prices on Lithium batteries seem to be coming down nicely...

We couldn't live in the van without an inverter! Induction hob, wifey hair straighteners, coffee machine, toaster, laptop charging, anything really pluggable innable! Even used a hammer drill at busfest to plant a superstake for the flagpole in rock hard ground. As long as you have a decent leisure battery the 3 pin plug is your friend! Prices on Lithium batteries seem to be coming down nicely...
Yeah, but the operative word here is “essential” :whistle:

Back