Error Code P0101 - Mass Airflow Sensor

RichDavies82

VIP Member
T6 Guru
My Engine management light came on when in Cornwall in August. Everything was pointing to an EGR issue as I had the glow plug warning light come on prior to the EML. I borrowed a code reader this weekend and it turns out it’s nothing to do with the EGR but the Mass Airflow Sensor - error code P0101

Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to resolve? The van’s due an MOT next week and I don’t want to run the risk of the light coming back on whilst in the MOT bay.

I’ve had MAF sensor issues on other vehicles, in my experience providing the electrical connection is intact and fault free it’s a case of trying to clean the sensor and if that doesn‘t fix it then the sensor is replaced.

Halfords sell an electrical cleaner. My van was a bit stuttery at times and cleaning the MAF cured it.

Well I investigated the issue on Saturday and followed a trouble shooting guide on t’internet. I checked the wiring and that was ok, checked the plug for damage and that was fine too. Next was the air filter to see whether it was seated correctly. I undid the two clips and the top oc the air box came away quite easily (which I thought was odd). Anyway the air filter was ok - just a few leaves and bugs in it so I wafted it around and got them out. I then noticed on the left had side of the air box cover that there were three plastic hooks. These hooks go under three plastic loops on the lower casing. It then became apparent that these hooks weren’t under the loops when I removed the top of the air box. Anyway, I’ve now got no errors and no EM lights on the dash as the vacuum has now been restored. Hoorah!

I’m surprised if that is the cause of the fault.
Was it a hard (constant) fault before you did these checks?
Did you check if the fault had cleared after each stage of the checks of wiring, plug, etc?

I’m surprised if that is the cause of the fault.
Was it a hard (constant) fault before you did these checks?
Did you check if the fault had cleared after each stage of the checks of wiring, plug, etc?
It may not be but only time will tell. The MAF sensor looked spotless and the associated pipe work. I cleared the fault prior to doing the checks so I’m not sure.

I just got the same issue, when the engine is idling it is very jumpy. I got an MAF fault on the computer. Only seems fine on high revs. I’ve replaced the mass airflow sensor which made it like a new van for 3 hours then it went back to doing the same.

I have now replaced the sensor to the right of the mass air flow (vacuum sensor) as forums said this may be the cause but it’s exactly the same.

Stripped down the entire inlet work and no issues

Does anybody know the next step?

Back