Engine will not start.

Monkeybum

Help.
Currently in the process of converting my van. Van was last used on Tuesday.
Went to it yesterday evening and unlocked it ok - key into ignition van started then died two seconds later.....noticed no dash lights at all, tried again nothing!
Central Locking works, but nothing apart from radio.
I disconnected the battery and put the charger on it overnight - reconnected this morning still no dash lights or cranking.
A point to note is the interior light was out also, not sure if thats a red herring here. Checked all the fuses includeing those next to battery and non have blown. Looking for some guidance on what it could be? (Van is a Highline 102).
Many thanks in advance

So with the igniton selected to on and lights on ( Lights dont come on ) V drops to 13.8V ignition switched to off key removed and light switched to off - 14.5V

Sounds like your battery is ok then, and you have disconnected the battery for some time, so control systems will have reset.
Did you do any conversion work on it after you last drove it ?

Pete

We've seen this before....

@Pauly - thinking about that "blown fuse" from the roof conversion, that caused a pinched wire, that caused a blown fuse, that was replaced - but put put back in the WRONG SLOT. ?

- That fuse was a main supply fuse that fed various other downstream fuses and BCM outputs . . . . including the dash unit (which contains the engine immobiliser)

It was a blown fuse, that was put back in the wrong slot....

You need to double check ALL the fuses are correct rate in the correct slot.

got more details on the van . . . year?

got some pics of what we are looking at?

post a few pics of your SC fuse box, ?

Last edited:
all the fuse lists are in the VIP download section.

VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum

Agreed voltage seems high, unless its still connected to charger ?

This has come up a couple times in the past and the causes were varied, from my memory we have seen :
one of the main fuses blown in the e-box UNDER the battery (these are the bolt in type fuses)
one of the fuses in the dash fusebox put back into the wrong slot
ignition relay killed by a fuse in dash fusebox being shorted and blowing further up circuit (immobiliser/ignition relay)

Its kind of hard to guide you in any particular direction as only you know what you have done to van ?

We've seen this before....

@Pauly - thinking about that "blown fuse" from the roof conversion, that caused a pinched wire, that caused a blown fuse, that was replaced - but put put back in the WRONG SLOT. ?

- That fuse was a main supply fuse that fed various other downstream fuses and BCM outputs . . . . including the dash unit (which contains the engine immobiliser)

It was a blown fuse, that was put back in the wrong slot....

You need to double check ALL the fuses are correct rate in the correct slot.

got more details on the van . . . year?

got some pics of what we are looking at?

post a few pics of your SC fuse box, ?

Its a 2019 Highline - no ignition or cranking

we need some pics to help you out.

pics of the battery and terminals.

the SC fuse box in center dash . .

etc etc

we need some pics to help you out.

pics of the battery and terminals.

the SC fuse box in center dash . .

etc etc
Will get some in the morning.....its a real head scratcher this one!
Help.
Currently in the process of converting my van. Van was last used on Tuesday.
Went to it yesterday evening and unlocked it ok - key into ignition van started then died two seconds later.....noticed no dash lights at all, tried again nothing!
Central Locking works, but nothing apart from radio.
I disconnected the battery and put the charger on it overnight - reconnected this morning still no dash lights or cranking.
A point to note is the interior light was out also, not sure if thats a red herring here. Checked all the fuses includeing those next to battery and non have blown. Looking for some guidance on what it could be? (Van is a Highline 102).
Many thanks in advance

Good evening all,

Thank you to all that supported this post.

I took the plunge after checking the obvious, fuses , cables as far as possible and called VW Assist. I was pleased to see the technician went through the same process I did and concluded that the J517 (BCM) had failed to communicate. VW are recovering the vehicle for further invest- fingers crossed it is sorted asap

Wow...really?

Keep us posted... I'm still thinking main power feed to BCM or dash.

Update - VW Assist arrived, completed the same checks I had done - lots of head scratching - couldn't communicate with the vehicle even with all his test equipment - Diagnosis J517. Recovered to VW - diagnosis relay 645, j15 failure. I am going to speak with the technician when I pick it up for more clarity as no fuses where found ruptured, I have had to pay for a j fuse SC39 as the cap was missing from it but not blown. Whilst in I am having a service at £189. Fingers crossed it doesnt happen again! Might just buy in a relay!

so you had the van recovered to VW dealership on the back of a tow truck?

what was the no-com, no-start caused by then? - its fixed and running again now?

Not the BCM then?

Yep - recovered by VW and they have had it up and running with the relay change....all under warranty. Just glad its fixed for now, my concern is what/ how the relay failed....van just coming up to 2 years old. As I said I will quiz the technician - what caused the relay to fail - open coil, fused contacts.....my mind is wondering what caused this in the first place.

Back