Engine Light On. Van Off The Road

Alanmh

T6 Pro
Engine light came on just popping to the shops.
I read the fault codes and called Marshall of Reading. They say the van has missed a recall or two, one of which is an exhaust pressure sensor.
Hoping that is it.
Problem is they don't have a diary space to look at it till 4th October!

Looks to me like more of an emissions related issue...

EGR and back pressure codes.

I'd say as long as it drives ok. You should be fine running the van untill they can get it booked in.

They said "we don't recommend you drive it" which sounds like a get out to me.

I didn't notice any missing or lack of power. Although it did have a couple of hiccups a couple of weeks ago. But it's been up and down the motorway today the Nec since the without missing a beat. (which is why I don't think it's dpf)

Yeh think so too.

If it's just an Orange warning light I think your be ok.

But any sign of a second red light will change matters... I think your be fine.

You could just clear the codes and see how long the warning takes to come back........... but if your taking it in for a warranty claim the deleting the fault codes is not advised. Let them fix it and clear the codes.

Thanks again

I dont beleive it!! I rang Marshalls South Oxford to see if they could get it in earlier and they first asked me if it was in restricted power mode (I dont know as I was only 1/4 mile from home in a 30 when it came on). But the real eye opener was that they advised me to ring VW Assist - it turns out I have 3 years cover!! No idea why the converter that sold me the van didnt mention that!

So, they are coming at 5pm tonight to check it out and take it in if it needs to.

That good then . . .

all new van come with 3 years VW assist as far as im aware.

"restricted power mode" or "limp mode" is when the ECM puts the van into a kind of self protection mode. you will have very little power and will only be able to drive at a bout 20 or 30 mph max

you will defiantly know if its in limp mode when i happens. . . . . . it can be scary at times . . . especially if your on a motorway.

suppose they are asking to determine the severity of the fault . . . . . no limp mode then ok for now.... or... limp mode - urgent help required.

anyway, let us know what they say later.

I had vw assist on my t5. What your stating is what i had. I rang vw assist and rac turned up. This happened three times over a couple week period because Rac just kept resetting.
I turns out vw sub the job out if they are too busy. The third time vw assist turned up, he said it was the egr valve. He said we always carry egr valves and did it there and then. It took him a couple of hours while i was on site. If you ring vw assist stress to them you want vw assist and not RAC.

Ok, I am hoping to get the proper guy as its booked for when I get home tonight so fingers crossed.

I didnt know all vans got 3 years, I presumed it was like cars where you only get the first year. If I had known, I wouldnt have spent £££s on Green Flag!!!

To be honest mate, i don't think it is an automatic 3yrs vw assist. I will check my t6, but i had it on my t5. I bought the t5 from one year old and was told i had vw assist because the previous owner had bought three years worth and it was the van with the assist not the owner, so it just transferred until the three year expiry. Hopefully you get the vw assist guys because the guy i had was bang on.

Seems 3 years is standard.....

Keep your business moving with Volkswagen’s Roadside Assistance
For peace of mind whilst on the road, all our new vehicles come with comprehensive roadside assistance for the first three years – at no extra cost.

Our cover includes everything from flat tyres to battery problems and we’re only ever a phone call away: 0800 777 172

Source: Volkswagen Roadside Assistance | VW Vans

He Came, He Saw, He Went - without fixing it.

Apparently it needs the EGR flushing and a turbo seal that can only be done at the dealers. :(:(

oh well,

at least you know now,,,,,,,

i think you will get a better job done at the dealers for an EGR clean and new seal compared to a road side job anyway.

Sounds like it.
The guy did say (though not officially) it would be ok to do limited mileage till it goes in.

I might ring around some other dealers to see if I can get it in earlier somewhere else

good idea,

glad the tech confirmed it would be ok to drive about for now.

It's back! I rang Marshall in Reading to see if they could squeeze it in earlier and they said drop it in. So I got it to them on Saturday and by 11:45 Monday they rang to say it was all fixed.

Seems the recall work for the exhaust pressure sensor cleared all the fault codes

Have to say that the guys at the van centre in Reading were very friendly and helpful. Big thanks to them for squeezing it in a couple of weeks early

Now to get a solar panel sorted

Back