Engine lag/slow power take up

Robert Best

Let me know what you think, whether you like it or not, or if its broke :)
Can I ask if any body is experiencing a lag in engine take up ? I have a new T6 diesel automatic AWD. I took it back to the dealer who checked it over and said they could see no problems/issues. Perhaps it something I have to accept and get used to, but I find it tricky when maneuvering, especially in reverse,:thumbsdown: in confined areas at low speeds.

On another matter. I bought the car in Switzerland and so have a German handbook. Is there anywhere that I could buy an English version. I'm finding it difficult to understand how the cruise control works !!:)

Hi @Robert Best welcome to the forum.
I don't notice a large lag in the engine (but mines not 4 motion) but do find it slightly awkward when reversing into a tight space, i have to reverse to park at my house and my method is to engage reverse and what for a couple seconds for the gearbox to engage and the van to try and "creep" on tick over then the throttle is much more predictable so you can give it a light press and crawl back under control

Unfortunately the online downloadable VW owners manuals are only available for cars, if you can confirm your exact model I can get a price for you for an English book from a UK supplier although I would go back to your dealer first and ask them as they might be able to help if you moan enough you may get it for free.
If theres a certain part of the manual you are interested in I would be happy to scan a few pages of mine and send to you, will upload the cruise pages later

Same as @Pauly reverse is an arse, takes a few seconds to build up momentum then it's fine.
Day to day driving no probs at all, others have said DSG is slow to pick up but not noticed it, goes like a rocket - 204ps 4motion DSG.

Just for reference, the very low rev response (under 1200rpm) of the 204 manual is a bit hesitant; once the first turbo is spinning, it pulls hard.
Wondering if DSG isn't quite responding correctly to the engine inputs?
The T5.1 DSG 140 we had for two weeks had terrible lag.

Heres the cruise control pages, if you have adaptive cruise let me know and I will upload the rest
IMG_2342.JPG IMG_2343.JPGIMG_2344.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

I have the same problem with he same engine & drive train!

Not taken it back to the dealer as I think its just a "characteristic" I certainly haven't helped with the amount of sound deadening I've added and the crap I carry around with me.

180 DSG 4 Motion - Same issue in reverse, I assumed this was a feature to reduce power as reverse is generally a slow menauvere?

I also own a 174 T5 2WD - I guess the T6 180 DSG is not as responsive but I think the advantages of the DSG far outwiegh the disadvantages.

I think I have the same experience as the original poster. 204 DSG 4Motion. I came from a 180DSG T5 2WD and when this was in either drive or reverse it was easy to pull away and manoeuvre with the engine speed feeling matched to the drag of the clutch.

New 4Motion engages drive quickly but feels like it is holding off the clutch and allowing engine rpm to build before then letting the vehicle move. This characteristic does. It make for a nice experience when manoeuvring at low speeds to park or pull away as mentioned above and when trying to reverse into a steep drive the other night it was actually quite embarrassing due to all the noise for very little movement plus it did not allow for a great level of control of the vehicle.

I don't think this is a fault but more a characteristic although I am struggling to see a good reason for it and why it would be so different to my previous T5 with the only real difference being the 4wd. Surely the force needed would not be that different and certainly no more difference that would be made from a partly loaded vehicle to a fully loaded one.

As I said this is as others have mentioned when parking and especially reversing unless you are going quickly it I do also find it not nice when driving normally and pulling out of junction etc.

It is improved or less noticeable when driving, how should I put this More positively. Other wise know as "Do you really need to drive this fast" "Sorry dear"

To really find out the characteristics of an engine you need to drive a manual version.
The power delivery of ours is definitely not very linear - there's a flat spot low down, then it rockets away but hits a power wall just after 4k rpm - the trick is to stay well within that power band. However it does feel slightly artificial - almost like the ECU is restricting torque a little but rev hard and drop the clutch off the line and it will spin it's wheels - the 180 4motion we had never did this.
It's a good engine IMO but you need to drive "around" the characteristics of it - and with an auto (semi auto to be precise), it might just not quite be able to get it 100% right all the time. Generally the torque of the engine (which is high even with a 150) will "hide" any flat spots but not all. The DSGs I've driven (five of them) have all had a nasty hesitation when pulling away which has put me off for life but the 204 engine might actually exacerbate the issue.

Our BMW is an auto but with flappy paddles; when using it in manual mode, I definitely rev it harder; but use loads of petrol! But again the torque covers any flat spots so it always pulls hard. I do feel the manual would be more satisfying but it's slower!

Same on my 204 4 motion, Just thought I'd have to accept as a characteristic of it. only seems to be an issue when rushing. auto box and turbo lag combination don't compliment each other for a couple of seconds.

Must be lucky mines fine except revrtding up our drive uphill takes a bit of welly, every day driving is fine

Back