Engine flush at service

dErZ

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Im booked in for my annual service on the T6 next week and they asked if I wanted to flush the engine. What are peoples thoughts on getting this done? Would it move debris round the engine possibly causing problems?

It’s a money earner for the garage. I doubt the VW service schedule makes any mention of this being needed.
I would sincerely hope that the oil filter holds any debris, and that of course is changed as part of the service.

Pete

It's like one of the many add ons they try to sell to people. Most are on service plans, so aren't paying anything on the day. They are more likely to say yes to spending an extra £50 whilst it's in.

Filters obviously have their micron spec’ and anything smaller will pass through. Whether the smaller particles will significantly reduce engine life is debatable. IMO an oil analysis is far more useful, DPF de-generations will be causing fuel dilution and that definitely will reduce engine and turbocharger life.

Im booked in for my annual service on the T6 next week and they asked if I wanted to flush the engine. What are peoples thoughts on getting this done? Would it move debris round the engine possibly causing problems?
Thats interesting . . . .

main dealer? (assuming not)

or indy? (assuming so)

oh . . ok.

I've never been offered that from a main dealer before.

I've done it myself if the old days. . .

the idea was to help breakdown some of the oil sludge and deposits etc

added to a hot engine, left to circulate for 20mins at idle, then drained.

looks like the Wynns stuff is still available !!!

1676027211110.png

oh . . ok.

I've never been offered that from a main dealer before.

I've done it myself if the old days. . .

the idea was to help breakdown some of the oil sludge and deposits etc

added to a hot engine, left to circulate for 20mins at idle, then drained.

looks like the Wynns stuff is still available !!!

View attachment 187706
Once I read that it cleans hydraulic systems the BS is smelling strong, the only way to clean hydraulic systems is with a flush with hot, agitated and turbulent hydraulic oil.
If some snake oil did the job it would save hundreds of thousands in industrial systems.
As for engines; centrifuges and heaters do what a filter cannot do.
On the T6 the oil change interval will have more influence on engine wear due to carbon and fuel contamination - all as a result of DPF re-generations.
Being realistic the Diesels will be forced off the road well before most people have clocked enough miles to need an engine overhaul.

yeh . . I've not even heard of engine flush being mentiond for the last 20years!

thats why i asked out main dealer. .

id understand an indy trying to add some extra optional sales.

but the dealers? - that news to me.

zero resilts here:

1676028264288.png

vs oil:

1676028308703.png

You'd never know for certain if they'd done it anyway, if I wanted it done I'd do it myself.

It was quite common about 20 years ago and my local VAG independent used to push the service along with many other ‘must have’ jobs. The owner spent most of the winter in The Canaries. It used to be said that removing the years of solidified deposits could induce oil leaks in an older engine, not sure I believe that either.
One thing for sure is that everytime you have something in pieces or add oil you are introducing contaminants.

Back