Engine Change CXEB

Andnik

Bamboo Green Cruising Machine
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi Forum.....The green machine has been parked up for last 3 months with an engine that seems to be dumping oil.....I sourced a new low milage engine from Transporter heaven to transplant as lost all faith in old engine.....probably the small turbo has failed dumping oil into the Cat and DPF.

Going to swap the engines over and get a brand new dpf.........any tips from folk that have removed and replaced the CXEB engines on these nightmare vans.....I am not looking forward to the job...........my local garages will not touch it so I am on my own.

They are actually very straight forward to work on / remove.

Remove the front end..
Most stuff can be left in place, just disconnect anything that attaches to the bodywork (sensors, pipe work etc) disconnect the exhaust after the dpf / cat.

Remove the driveshafts.

The ecu needs unplugging from inside the ebox, leave the wiring in place engine side of the loom.

Once the four engine mounts are undone, the engine / gearbox can be lifted out without removing the front subframe.

Last edited:
Thanks Phil, I have seen that others have dropped the subframe.....we will see how we get on.

I will be putting in a new DPF so once installed what VCDS items do I need to remember.?

Purge the HP fuel system before start. Run the Coolant pumps to circulate the coolant. code in a new DPF.
I am new to VCDS and bought one for the job so any advice there gratefully received.
I will of course be renewing crank oil seals front and rear and also have the new EGR cooler, Timing belt Waterpump, sepentine belt, filters.

Hoping when finished the van will give me another 140,000km before major mishaps.

Hi

The engine is changed and just zipping up and replacing oils. I have a question.....on the 4 motion it has a seperate transfer box bolted to the gearbox to send power to the rear wheels. what is the oil used inside? I assume its a seperate unit from the DSG box but can find no info in the downloads section. where to fill, and what oils to use?

Help!!! I am so close to having the mean green wallet destroying machine on the road again.........

Nobody got a scooby what oil to use in the transfer box? seems a trip to the unhelpful local stealers tomorrow.....to "pretend I will buy some from them"

At least the New engine appears to be running well and playing nice with the new DPF. First time in a long time that VCDS has zero DTCs. just hope it stays that way!!!

So the Intermediate transfer box (4 motion only) uses 0.7lt of G052518A2 Unicorn Tears Gear oil at 52Euros for 1 liter!!!!!

So the Van now drives but does not go! No Boost from Turbo.......been over the Vacuum maze a few times and looked for leaks in the intake side.

Any Suggestions....?

Engine Fault 23957 Boost pressure regulation
Engine Fault 25958 Boost pressure regulation

9352B01E-2FA2-4BE1-8E31-E15C5295E66E.JPG

B53DC293-137D-4DA8-93D5-F4C971493F97.JPG

So today more VW hell..........the van idles just fine but no boost and no faults until you ask power out on the road.....then lots of black smoke and the above codes.

After much tube chasing and concluding that everything was installed correctly I found this post :

So it seems I have joined the failed turbo camp on a new (to me) engine just installed.....will ask transporter heaven were I got the engine from if they can refund some of the money I paid to go towards a new turbo......

does anyone know the difference between the turbos 03N145701M and 03N145703M as they seem to both be bounced about in relation to the CXEB /CXEC

7F7898B7-4EBD-4281-8A27-EF180894820E.JPG

8EC90557-60AB-4916-AADF-B6CFC638DA7C.JPG

Back