Emissions/exhaust light in dash

A&A

After. Long trip to Scotland 1200ish miles I have had the following dashboard light issues:

Emissions light came in first thing in the morning after stopping overnight. The following day the light was off.
On the trip back the adblue warning came on showing 650miles left & said engine would not restart, thankfully this light went off.
Next day the emissions light came on & is still on.
Any advice would be nice. Andy69C83842-7FFA-4958-BE37-7153EE743F39.jpeg

I guess it wants to do a regen, but you are less than 1/4 tank of fuel, add fuel and adblue to the required maximum and it should do a regen on your next jaurney.

That's the Engine Management Light.
Could be a host of issues and you should do a scan to see what codes you are getting.

It's the emissions light on newer VAG vehicles the flashing coil light is the ECU warning light..
Sorry should have said it is a 2018 Kombi. Will try topping up fuel & adblue. Thanks. Andy

Doesn't matter which light it is, or version of the lights, none of them mean anything specific, except get it scanned for the fault codes!

....should have mentioned that I had same problem last year & had a EGR pipe replaced.

Reactions: CAB
Dashboard light has now gone out so all sorted, also the rear door had been refusing to open from outside & that has also fixed itself. Thanks for advice here. Andy

Reactions: CAB
thinking I should buy a plug in fault light/code reader for next time I have a similar issue, any advice on best one to get?

thinking I should buy a plug in fault light/code reader for next time I have a similar issue, any advice on best one to get?
Carista

Reactions: A&A
I'd love to know how this story ends and if you've had any further issues. I'm having exactly the same problem and it's ongoing despite lots of mechanics looking at the van and taking my money. Mine is a 5 year old t6 (t28 highline 102) with only 20,000 on the clock. The engine warning light came on during a trip to Scotland, coincidentally. Adblue had previously been topped up and showed 3500 miles remaining. About 50 miles further down the motorway, suddenly an alert flashed up saying adblue low, engine wouldn't start in 500 miles. I drove another 100 miles at 70mph and suddenly it jumped back up to 3000 miles and the engine warning light went out. I took it in for a service and was told it was to do with emissions and that the engine was getting clogged up because I didn't drive it at 65 mph for 15 mins at a time, the time needed for these engines to heat enough to start burning off the crap in the engine. (This was not true either because the van gets loads of long distance motorway time). Anyway, as part of the service, they put an additive into the engine which was supposed to help clear the pipes. It didn't work so I took it back in again. They then changed the EGR valve which cost me £350. The mechanic told me that, in doing so, they would have dislodged a lot of gunk so I shouldn’t be surprised if the light came on again as soon as I started driving, but it didn’t. A week later, which including some decent motorway driving, it came back on again. A friend came out and plugged it in to read the diagnostics and said it was the same problem. He said you need to drive these vans at 65 mph for a minimum of 45 minutes to heat the engine up sufficiently. So I set off on a 2000 mile road trip with loads of lengthy motorway drives. The light tended to came on when I was pottering around towns at low speed and went off again after a long motorway drive, so this all seemed to make sense. Then, it came on and stayed on. 150 miles along the motorway again one day and the Adblue alert came on again just as before, dropping down to 500 miles left, then jumping up again to 3000 around 100 miles later. So, clearly, changing the EPG valve did absolutely nothing at all (but cost me £350).

The van also has a tendency to cut out altogether about once an hour when I’m driving around town at around 20mph. A mate said it was going into limp mode, but I think it’s more than this. It’s as if I have stalled it altogether (I lose the electrics, steering etc). Sometimes it restarts itself, other times I have to do it manual using the keys.

Not sure if this is relevant, but the previous owner did a “Pendle engine remap to 170hp”. Not really sure what that means apart from giving the engine more welly, but just wondered if it might have affected the ability of the van to manage its emissions.

I have spoken to various people about this. Some say it’s a common fault with newer vans these days and they just get the emissions light deactivated altogether. I’m not planning on doing this but would the van be able to pass its MOT if you did this? Others have said it needs a software upgrade. Some have said that perhaps the new EPG valve is sticky or faulty. Others just say I need to drive it for longer on the motorway, which I don’t really buy because I do that a lot anyway. I may well invest in a Carista adaptor so that I can at least see what the code is when the light appears rather than having to rush it into a garage each time.

Any suggestions from you experts would be much appreciated. I want to get this fixed but I don’t want to keep throwing money at the problem before somebody can actually diagnose what the issue is.

Reading your full account, I am inclined to say that your problems stem from the adblue sensor issues that need a software update. Once it is fixed, the ECU will be able to do it’s DPF regerations when required.
The remap may have a bearing on this as we don’t know what has been altered and if that is causing unintended issues with EGR operation etc.

Reactions: mmi
I took advice from @Loz and topped up adblue & fuel & after a few days light went out.
I tend to get the problem on long motorway trips.
A recent problem I’ve had is the emergency braking (AEB I think it called) has come on when there no vehicles that close. This has happened 3 times in a couple of months. The first time really freaked me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading your full account, I am inclined to say that your problems stem from the adblue sensor issues that need a software update. Once it is fixed, the ECU will be able to do it’s DPF regerations when required.
The remap may have a bearing on this as we don’t know what has been altered and if that is causing unintended issues with EGR operation etc.
Thanks for such a rapid response. Would this account for it intermittently stalling as well?

just adding to this. I've got a t6.1 204bhp which is only 9 months old and 5k on the clock. was about to set off ona 400mile trip north when the engine light came on (bloody typical) . darent risk it so switched vehcles. have got the van booked in for a check but theres a 3 week wait! Seems it could be one of many things but any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW the vaan had only recently been filled to full so wondered if it could be dodgy dissel?

just adding to this. I've got a t6.1 204bhp which is only 9 months old and 5k on the clock. was about to set off ona 400mile trip north when the engine light came on (bloody typical) . darent risk it so switched vehcles. have got the van booked in for a check but theres a 3 week wait! Seems it could be one of many things but any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW the vaan had only recently been filled to full so wondered if it could be dodgy dissel?
Buy yourself a carista for about £20 and you can scan the fault codes to see what’s up. No need at all to visit a dealer or book it in anywhere until you know the issue.
My engine light came on yesterday after a 150 mile drive. I pulled over, plugged it in, read the code, deleted it and carried on my journey. If it comes back, I’ll investigate further. Until then, I ain’t worried.

@Chrish1 do you not have vw assist? If you do ring them and they’ll come out to your drive, had them out loads to sort dash lights very helpful aswell

Back