Emissions Control/engine Management Safety Light

Gogi

Hi everyone

The emissions light has just come on and I was wondering why that might be?
It is a permanent light and it still appears after the engine has been switched off for some time.
It doesn’t feel like it’s lost power but it does feel a little juddery.
It’s still under warranty, so hopefully any repair should be covered?? The only concern I have is that I bought it from a chap who bought it from a lease company and they haven’t stamped the service book, they just gave me a print off with the service done. Does anyone know if this will affect the warranty? Thanks

Gordon

Stamped service books are pretty much a thing of the past, the last 3 cars I've had haven't had a service book. It's all kept online, giving you a printout is perfectly legit

Oh and fill your tank up and go for a high speed blast, you might find the light goes out if it hasn't had chance to do a regen

Edit: disclaimer, hi REV blast, I obviously don't condone speeding :D

The Orange light could relate to any number of things.

Like egr. DPF. Etc Etc.

Your need a code reader to pull the codes and see what the fault is.

You can do it yourself with a cheap code reader like Carista. About £15 on Amazon.

Failing that your have to take it to the garage to have the codes read.

Can you clarify exactly what the light looks like as there are two
The engine management light signifies an issue somewhere in the engine/drivetrain etc but there is also a DPF light that tells you the DPF is overdue running a regeneration cycle which is cleared by filling up with fuel and having a blast down the motorway

engine management light then . . . . .

Yeah not so good, best get it plugged in to see what’s going on

Yeah not so good, best get it plugged in to see what’s going on
Really?? So when you say get it plugged in do you mean buy one of the gadgets Dellmassive mentioned or take it in to get looked at? Are things like this covered under warranty? And I presume it’s best not to drive it?!! Thanks

here you go £15.99 delivered next day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Bl...e=UTF8&qid=1534695827&sr=8-1&keywords=carista

plug it in, pair with phone, scan van for codes, google the results, . . . simples.

some just take a note of the codes, then just clear them and see if they come back.

if they do come back then is a current issue and needs looking at . . . . .

So then book the van in for repair to sort out whatever the problem is.

But at least you will know what the light is warning you about - "Knowledge is power" right?

dont get fed a load of waffle by the garage - know what your talking about, and know what the issue is before you go to the garage.

oh and an orange light is normally a warning, but ok to drive. but get it looked at asap. A orange light with a red light is more serious and means stop and dont drive.

Once again thanks for all the advice. I am bricking it slightly as all the money I had went in to buying this but without the quick responses from you guys I'd be lost!!

I had the same light come up recently on my 2017 102ps Highline with 7,000 miles on the clock, whilst driving 270 miles home from Manchester. Drove fine. It was going in the the VW dealership for new fuel hoses under a safety recall the next day so asked them to have a look at this too. They cleared the error codes and did a software update, and told me that it was an intermittent fault (but not what it actually was) and said that if it recurred to come back, as it had to be logged twice on their system before it could be done under warranty(!). Within a week it came on again, so back it went for a day, for the EGR valve to be stripped down, cleaned and re-assembled. Been fine ever since, fingers crossed. Apparently I was lucky that it hadn’t gone into limp mode, so I would definitely get it looked at ASAP.

Just a comment. I wouldn’t clear the fault code for the reason stated above. If it is an intermittent one, it helps VW garage to get the justification for repairs if the fault has been logged more than once. Along the fault code the number of occurrences will be recorded – which all would be lost if the fault is cleared.

Thanks Noddy, very helpful! What's 'Limp Mode' just a turn of phrase or something?
When the van won’t let you rev it high, meaning you can still drive it home but that you can’t drive home fast.

Back