Electrics - how much is enough,? need I spend more?

GNShaw

Hi. I'm just about to take the plunge with solar.

looking on ebay, I can get a victron 175 solar panel kit with their own mppt controller and wiring for £379.

I was also looking to buy a ctek d250se to link from alternator, at another £250.

Do I need both though?

Would the solar panel be enough for a typical camper set up? Looking at compressor fridge, water pump, 5 x led lights, 2 x reading lights, tv, 3 x USB chargers. ( obviously not all on together)

I'd then fit an ehu with 2 240v sockets instead of the ctek for longer breaks on sites with hook up.

Thoughts appreciated.

Hi. I'm just about to take the plunge with solar.

looking on ebay, I can get a victron 175 solar panel kit with their own mppt controller and wiring for £379.

I was also looking to buy a ctek d250se to link from alternator, at another £250.

Do I need both though?

Would the solar panel be enough for a typical camper set up? Looking at compressor fridge, water pump, 5 x led lights, 2 x reading lights, tv, 3 x USB chargers. ( obviously not all on together)

I'd then fit an ehu with 2 240v sockets instead of the ctek for longer breaks on sites with hook up.

Thoughts appreciated.
personal opinion:-

Victron Orion B2B charger (forget the Ctek, been there done that)
Victron MPPT solar charger
Victron Bluesmart Mains charger, either the IP65 or IP22 version (IP22 is fine if it's going to be permanently fitted to the van in a dry location.

Keep it all Victron, one app covers it all. I've had a Ctek for B2B & Solar, Durite for mains, Sterling for B2B, all replaced with Victron.

The Solar & B2B are not mutually exclusive, imo you need both AND EHU.

Victron Bluesmart Mains charger, either the IP65 or IP22 version (IP22 is fine if it's going to be permanently fitted to the van in a dry location.

Keep it all Victron, one app covers it all. I've had a Ctek for B2B & Solar, Durite for mains, Sterling for B2B, all replaced with Victron.

The Solar & B2B are not mutually exclusive, imo you need both AND EHU.
Thanks for the reply.... The words cheap and transporter are never found in the same sentence are they

The Solar & B2B are not mutually exclusive, imo you need both AND

you need both, as the sun is not always shining . . .

and probably a Smart Charger for the EHU too.

more info here: Dellmassive’s "How I Done It" blogs.

Thanks, there's some reading in those guides

Thanks for the reply.... The words cheap and transporter are never found in the same sentence are they
Buy cheap buy twice. Saying that, the Ctek & Sterling weren’t exactly bargain basement:rolleyes:

We have a 100ah lithium battery and a 50A DC/DC charger which charges the battery from empty to full in two hours driving. We get up to 4 days and nights from the battery with a full campervan set up. We have no solar or electric hook up installed but the DCDC charger also acts as an MPPT if you want to add solar later (portable panels or roof fixed panels

Renogy

DCC50S 12V 50A DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT(New Version)​

£239.99 £203.99
SKU:

RBC50D1S-UK
GTIN:

MPN:

RBC50D1S-UK
Availability
Please allow up to 1 to 2 business days for processing and 3 to 5 business days for shipping.
Amp:

50A

We have a 100ah lithium battery and a 50A DC/DC charger which charges the battery from empty to full in two hours driving. We get up to 4 days and nights from the battery with a full campervan set up. We have no solar or electric hook up installed but the DCDC charger also acts as an MPPT if you want to add solar later (portable panels or roof fixed panels

Renogy

DCC50S 12V 50A DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT(New Version)​

£239.99 £203.99
SKU:

RBC50D1S-UK
GTIN:

MPN:

RBC50D1S-UK
Availability
Please allow up to 1 to 2 business days for processing and 3 to 5 business days for shipping.
Amp:

50A
Thank you - that's food for thought

If your alternator is charging your leisure battery while you are driving you usually arrive with a full leisure battery which is good as it may be raining or overcast for a while so solar will be adding very little.

I have found having a 240v ehu charger and a dcdc charger with solar mppt input , plus fixed and portable panels ideal for my sort of travels.

This allows me to keep my leisure battery topped up either by 240v if available, from the alternator if driving or solar when parked.

I suppose it depends on what you want to be able to do how you charge the leisure battery but you have to be able to charge it to keep using it.

What’s a smart charger if you don’t mind me asking?
A mains charger that you can leave permanently connected without damaging the battery. It will automatically cycle through the charging profile as & when the battery requires. Fit & forget.

Back