Electrical Interface (is1) - Useful?

gmaster

T6 Pro
When I got my van I specified the Electrical Interface (IS1) for about £40. I was kinda hoping it would come in useful in the future and for £40, it was worth the punt.

I am not electrically minded (at all), but it looks as though it could be quite a cheap, worthwhile item to spec' (if you know how to use it).

Am I right in thinking it is used more as a switch point (as in turning things on and off), rather than a point for a power supply? For example switching on extra lights when you activate the main beam, or switching on a reversing camera etc? I'm guessing you would need to run the actual power from another source like a leisure battery?

Would anyone be willing to look at page 70 - 77 and see if you could actually power a dash cam from it? As in draw the power from the leisure battery under the passenger seat for the permanent live, but also somehow hook into an ignition live?

Any help of an explanation of how to use it would be greatly appreciated.

https://volkswagen-bodybuilder.com/...2017.pdf/a19cd4b2-aa3c-e364-110f-e1d1f133584b

Reactions: RZE
It is essentially a set of connectors with additional fuses in Fuse Holder D so there is potential to do what you need but not necessarily fed from the leisure battery.

Thanks for the reply Loz. So could I run the ignition feed for a dash cam from the interface and then connect the permanent live directly to the leisure battery?

I think the connectors for the is1 interface are next to the leisure battery (under the passenger seat), but which one connection would I use as an ignition live and is it already fused?

Yes, here is the wiring diagram for the connectors;

Attachments

• Circuit_Diagrams_Special_equipment.pdf
    630.1 KB · Views: 69
Thanks again Loz. I'm struggling to figure out what any of it means, but I'll do a bit of reading today and try to figure it out. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Hi gmaster

I have (IS1) and use it as a feed for my battery charger. Bodybuilder (Pg. 77) Plug 3 (grey) 4F0.937.731.G pin 4 ~ In laymen terms grey plug (under the passenger seat the) pin 4. Easy to spot as has chunky wire. This is fused in two places a 40A under the seat, mine is an orange holder and another in a fuse box under the main battery.

This is shown in the circuit diagram 87/6 the red and red/yellow bits. Soooo yup you can use as a power source and draw up 30A [6. Note parallel operation of additional loads (load balance).]

Kev

Kev, thanks for taking the time to reply!

In that case I'm wondering if that feed may be better for my battery to battery charger? Although I already have the factory fitted leisure battery, I am thinking of adding an additional 2 leisure batteries and solar to allow me to get a fridge etc. My thinking is to leave the factory fitted leisure battery to run the eberspacher and what ever else is connected to it and use the other leisure set-up to run what I add into the van.

I already have a Stirling bb1260 (used on my previous T5), but I've heard it may be too much for what I want with it being a 12v - 12v, 60A charger?

Any more help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

I'm going to install my dash cam today and wire the permanent live to the factory fitted leisure battery under my passenger seat. Is there an ignition live in the is1 interface that I can connect the other wire to?

Sorry for being so crap with electrical diagrams......and thanks for everyones help.

Hi, I'm finally speccing a new Kombi and planning a camper conversion and saw this option 'Electrical interface and multi-function control module for external use.'

I tried searching without much success - what is it exactly?

Thanks in advance.

Interesting, I’ve not noticed that thread before and it’s on the list of spec that mine has.

Back