Electric advice needed

Ron Campbell

Had my T6 for 9 Months and want to go to Spain and Portugal over winter.
I would like to do some wild camping so need to ensure my fridge is powered up for 3 months.
Do I go for solar or split charger, or both..
Also would like a contact to do the work in Surrey area as I would bodge it..

Thanks Ron

I have two 110Ah leisure batteries backed up with a 250 Watt panel running on a split charge system....

It's the best set up i found for extended periods of time wild camping without going down the Lithium route....

For what you want I would definitely go with plenty of solar plus DC-DC charger.
Can‘t help with someone local to you though.

Pete

I have two 110Ah leisure batteries backed up with a 250 Watt panel running on a split charge system....

It's the best set up i found for extended periods of time wild camping without going down the Lithium route....
Thanks, I'm new to this so have lots to learn, Lithium route??

It depends on your travel plans. If you're staying in one place for days at a time, a split charge (B2B) wont help much, and you'd be better off spending your B2B cash on a larger panel. Its not the peak wattage that matters, 100W is plenty, its the panels performance in poor weather that matters, when your 150 watt panel is struggling to give 30 watts... bigger is always better ;)

On the other hand, if its a tour and you're mostly driving, then a B2B would give a more dependable charge...
This is why most of us have both!

Cheers
Phil

Go for both, I have wild camped in Spain and Portugal in winter and just as the UK there are some long periods of bad weather.......just not as often!
With my 150w solar / 90Ah AGM battery running my CRX50 fridge, phone chargers, lights and Wallas diesel hob I was OK for all but the very worst weather. Then I just resorted to running the engine to bump the leisure battery voltage for pre-dawn breakfasts.
I didn’t see that many pre-dawn breakfasts so it wasn’t a massive issue.

Last edited:
It depends on your travel plans. If you're staying in one place for days at a time, a split charge (B2B) wont help much, and you'd be better off spending your B2B cash on a larger panel. Its not the peak wattage that matters, 100W is plenty, its the panels performance in poor weather that matters, when your 150 watt panel is struggling to give 30 watts... bigger is always better ;)

On the other hand, if its a tour and you're mostly driving, then a B2B would give a more dependable charge...

Cheers
Phil
cheers Phil
Go for both, I have wild camped in Spain and Portugal in winter and just as the UK there are some long periods of bad weather.......just not as often!
With my 150w solar / 90Ah AGM battery running my CRX50 fridge, phone chargers, lights and Wallas diesel hob I was OK for all but the very worst weather. Then I just resorted to running the engine to bump the leisure battery voltage for pre-dawn breakfasts.
Cheers, I'm going to get both and probably a lithium battery.

Cheers
Phil
Thanks Phil

Had my T6 for 9 Months and want to go to Spain and Portugal over winter.
I would like to do some wild camping so need to ensure my fridge is powered up for 3 months.
Do I go for solar or split charger, or both..
Also would like a contact to do the work in Surrey area as I would bodge it..

Thanks Ron

Not used them but look up Dub Van Styling, they are between Guildford and Woking

Cheers
Phil
Thanks again

Thanks that is very useful

Back