Eibach comfort 1 t6.1 lowering springs problem .

Northc2

Hi, five months ago I fitted some Eibach comfort 1 lowering springs from chilli jam vans for my vw t6.1 van, they are advertised as 35mm to 40mm front drop but I’ve only got a 25mm drop, I was hoping for 40mm, apparently Eibach allow a extra 10mm +/- on ride heights.
Can anyone recommend some good quality and reasonably accurate lowering springs ?

Ok. Not the ideal answer.

we don’t do much with spring only kits, in fact that’s one of the only ones we would use. Our path, which would be money well spent would be a decent coilover kit so you can set the height and get a matched spring/ shock absorber kit. If you areT30 and under then STX is the best kit on the market, nothing else comes close(manufactured by KW). For T32 we recommend the B14 Komfort, which is a class leader - both kits are correctly manufactured for each weight carrying with no aftermarket modifications to get them to fit.
But both are considerably more money than your spring only option, but will be some of the best money you spend on your vehicle and transform the drive.
We have got a new T32 coilover kit in the pipeline coming soon, which we will be offering in the future.

HTH

Yes , he said “ We are seeing that on certain 6.1 models there seems to be around a 10mm height shortage on the drop”, and suggested doing a hub mod, not very keen on that.

Hi Andy,

Just wanted to clarify if I may that we didn't actually suggest a hub mod.

Our email response actually says "Without ride height adjustment in each corner (a coilover) you are pretty much unable to adjust the ride height on the front of a set of lowering springs unless you opt to undergo a hub mod."

We don't recommend or even perform them. However I know it is fairly common for those wanting to lower the front even more than is already achieved with their current non adjustable set up. I was indicating that this would be the only way to adjust the ride height on your current setup without of course changing it for a different spring set or something else like a coilover. Apologies if this was misleading or not totally clear in any way.

As Bognor has already correctly mentioned to get a ride hight that suits your own preference for front and back you do need to go for the coilover option. Although we all have our own preference and opinions on which kits performs the best which is another story for another day.

I do acknowledge Andy that its disappointing to not get the drop you'd hoped for but as mentioned and explained in depth there are many factors involved with ultimately what ride height you achieve from a non adjustable spring which in this case is the front spring on your Eibach's.

Each van is different and can sometimes throw up unusual results. For example, very recently we had a delivery milage T6.1 factory Kombi in for lowering on the same Eibach Comfort 2 Adjustable lowering springs.
We always measure before and after. With less than 300 miles on the clock and in a totally standard format, the van was 10mm higher on the O/S than the N/S. This of course was adjusted out on the rear thanks to the adjustable rear cups, but it does and can happen that the van is sat particularly at the high end of the expected tolerance from factory I heard this can be up to 15mm. The usual ride height from centre of wheel to underside of arch for most models is 460 - 480mm except the Sportline, Caravelle and California's. In this particular case for our T6.1 Kombi in for lowering the ride height was reduced to 420mm from 475/485mm so bang on within the expected drop figures.

It does appear that on these Eibach Adjustable Lowering spring sets the expected drop figures are more accurate on the T5, T5.1 and T6 that is for sure.
The 6.1 has thrown up one or two cases that I know of, yours included where the expected drop is not quite within the expected guideline. Eibach Germany may not yet have enough data to show what exact models are affected, but it appears to us to be the lighter panel vans and non DSG drivetrains. My thoughts are it's the new front damper assembly and the additional rubber sleeve at the bottom of the lowering spring that are reducing the level of drop obtained.

Also, please check your email for our recommendation in resolving this issue for you which I think will work pretty well for you.

If anyone wants some more info on the Eibach Comfort or Max Low Adjustable lowering springs please just get in touch. They are still a very, very good lowering option for those not wanting to go down the coilover route.

Kind regards,

Brett

Back