[EGR] Warning light on second-hand purchase

Since I bought it yes, letting it tick over on the drive before setting off too! All bad things for the pdf, I’ve since found out on this site. I should of joined the site before the purchase!! Probably of put me off though:think smile bounce:

DPF problems are horrible when they happen to you. In your position you have got nothing to lose by taking it on a decent run, it doesn’t have to be fast speed wise but it is best done on a dual carriageway or motorway where it can get up to temp and sit there to do it’s stuff. 60mph will do it but equally you could do it slower but use a lower gear maintaining target 2000rpm revs. Worst case it will drop in to limp mode but you will still be able to drive back albeit slowly.

Your funny exhaust smells could be a regen trying to take place but you might keep interrupting it by only doing short runs.

If this doesn’t work then you need to get a scanner on the engine to see what faults are reporting, or as @Niknak says find someone with all the kit to force a static regen to see if that clears it.

Good luck and please report back.

What codes are you getting that have made you identify the EGR fault?

EGR issues are relatively common, you may want to use the search function on here to see what others have experienced.

I reckon introducing a small % mix of oxygen just ahead of the DPF would clear it out much better.

I also wish they’d tap off the EGR feed AFTER the DPF, so it was cleaned of soot. Wouldn’t clog up as much.

Because I’m an inpatient tw*t I’d already bought a new EGR valve but I now realise that I can delete both, which I am definitely going to do at some point.

I also wish they’d tap off the EGR feed AFTER the DPF, so it was cleaned of soot. Wouldn’t clog up as much.
Apparently some engines got that...
1601745163074.png

Back