EGR valve rust.

Roblee

VIP Member
T6 Pro
My 2017 T6 went for mot yesterday, it passed but I opened the bonnet after returning home and noticed a great deal of rust on what I think is the EGR valve. I don't remember it being like that last time I checked my engine. My T6 is a 2017 model, Im sure I would have noticed the rust before now, it's really bad. See pictures. What do you people think, does it look like it's been changed at some point? The EGR valve looks like it's been under water for year's, is this normal. Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks Rob

IMG20220208162348.jpg

IMG20220208164734.jpg

IMG20220208164846.jpg

I changed my EGR valve, and I looked at the old one and it was rusty. That part is cast iron and IIRC seems to rust quickly.

I only bought my T6 last July, it's a 2017 model with only 35,000 on the clock. It did past the MOT last Wednesday but with loads of advisories, ( see picture) is anything on these vans built to last? , I'm beginning to regret buying it. I love the VW T6 shape and design, but the build quality seems crap. The MOT station also said my Cambelt and water pump will need renewing now because of the age of my van. I was thinking of trading my van in for a brand new one, but I'm having second thoughts now. Is the Ford nugget build quality any better than the VW T6 or is that built of crap materials as well.

IMG_20220207_102713.jpg

They all have issues, no matter what brand. Personally I’d avoid a Transit, you have to think of the social stigma that the owners have to deal with.

Get your suspension refreshed and as your van is 4 years old it will need the water pump and cambelt service.

I only bought my T6 last July, it's a 2017 model with only 35,000 on the clock. It did past the MOT last Wednesday but with loads of advisories, ( see picture) is anything on these vans built to last? , I'm beginning to regret buying it. I love the VW T6 shape and design, but the build quality seems crap. The MOT station also said my Cambelt and water pump will need renewing now because of the age of my van. I was thinking of trading my van in for a brand new one, but I'm having second thoughts now. Is the Ford nugget build quality any better than the VW T6 or is that built of crap materials as well. Im Fed up of throwing money at my van, it's had a new starter battery, new Sergent control panel, new wheels and tyres. Sorry for moaning, I would have bought a new van last year but couldn't find one anywhere for sale only second hand. Staycation cause the shortage.

They all have issues, no matter what brand. Personally I’d avoid a Transit, you have to think of the social stigma that the owners have to deal with.

Get your suspension refreshed and as your van is 4 years old it will need the water pump and cambelt service.
Yes, I think your right, I'm not to keen on the Transit body shape or looks. Thanks.

I think those suspension arm advisories are more to do with the state of our lovely roads than the build quality of the van :(

I had to replace the near side front lower bush a couple of months ago after 20k miles. The garage was very surprised it had failed so early. It was about £150 to get it replaced with most of the cost being labour!

I think those suspension arm advisories are more to do with the state of our lovely roads than the build quality of the van :(
Yes British roads are in a terrible state, potholes everywhere. We have given up trying to keep our alloys on our car in good nick, waste of money.

I had to replace the near side front lower bush a couple of months ago after 20k miles. The garage was very surprised it had failed so early. It was about £150 to get it replaced with most of the cost being labour!
Gosh 20,000 miles is nothing, but other people have blamed the state of the British roads which are becoming in a dangerous state.;)

My mk4 Golf has had up to 10 advisories while I update her. And with over 200k on the clock you can expect a little rust. Most of it is mandatory now where it says, "rust but no corrosion", just to scare the crap out of you!

Back