EGR light came on before I’d left the forecourt!!!

cossie

T6 Pro
Hi all.

I am pretty sure your sick of hearing of EGR faults etc, but anyone still wanting to give advice would be much appreciated.

So…

Last week we travelled to Essex to purchased a Vw approved used t6 2017 204 dsg.

All was well just about to leave for the 3.5hr journey home and the vans dpf light was on!
To be fair to the dealership they got the van in the workshop and it got regen and cleared they paid for lunch and we thought great, we then drove van home and had EML come on next day!
Had my garage plug it in to reveal EGR fault!
And VW Stoke can’t fit us in until end of the month!! They did however say he is Vw assist… yeah great stuff!
I am beginning to think I’ve bought the wrong van!! Such a shame as spec is just wanted we wanted, and I am keen to get bits done including towbar!

It now has no EML on the dash but makes a rumbling noise when the ignition is off once driven a short journey! Van also seems very hot when you get out of the van after a drive!!

I am considering sticking two fingers up to the warranty and deleting egr,dpf and adblue once and for all with my local garage using @darkside developments kits.

So frustrating is there a cooling off period?
Rang over!

first thing you need to do is find out if the van has had a flush before, with these faults VW do a flush and change the erg pipe to a new version (I am assuming this is the same for all engine variants). If this hasn't been done they should do it for free. Once the van has had serval flushes the next stage would be to argue to change the erg itself. Apparently VW assist can do the flush and pipe change, there is a thread about it on here somewhere so have a search about. I wouldn't let this put you off the van

first thing you need to do is find out if the van has had a flush before, with these faults VW do a flush and change the erg pipe to a new version (I am assuming this is the same for all engine variants). If this hasn't been done they should do it for free. Once the van has had serval flushes the next stage would be to argue to change the erg itself. Apparently VW assist can do the flush and pipe change, there is a thread about it on here somewhere so have a search about. I wouldn't let this put you off the van
Blank it off and have it mapped out van will run better

I will contact VW assist this afternoon.
I am not keen on continue driving with the light intermittent

Would you use the darkside blanking kit?
I have a 180 cfca which have failing egrs I used a tafmet emulator and blanking plates about £120 all in from tafmet. You need to check if they do a kit for your engine model . Or I believe many tuners can simply remap and delete I'm sure others will with you model engine could provide better details..this will cost a bit more for there time/expertise

I wouldn't rush to get rid of EGR etc or let any other workshop work on it until the dealer has had the opportunity to rectify, otherwise the dealership will wipe their hands of you.

Did they give you a money back guarantee? when I bought my van through VW Hereford I could return it anytime within two weeks for money back no questions asked if I wasn't happy. They even held my trade in car until the two weeks were up.

The heat and the smell is likely to be the van trying to do a regen to clear the DPF.

I would be onto the dealership you bought it from for a fix, preferably for a new EGR valve (if that is the fault) and make sure all the pipework is the latest or just threatening to return it not fit for purpose. the reason they say its 'approved used' is because they are suppose to check all the van over etc before they sell it.

Straight from VW commerical website: Our Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Approved Used programme gives you the peace of mind that comes from a comprehensive Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Warranty and Roadside Assistance, as well as the reassurance that our experts have performed extensive checks to guarantee it’s ready to hit the road.

Clearly this isn't the case....

Either ring VW assist or drive it 3.5 hrs back and give them the van back.
One option seems relatively easy.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I too have a VW approved used T6 204 DSG, mine's a 2016 and I bought it just before Covid in late 2019.

Mine's had the light on and when plugged in showed some EGR related issues (Gas Recirculation Sensor and Gas Reflow Excessive detected).

What's VW's stance on this? Will they flush it without questions asked? Is there some sort of internal program where they take care of it simply due to model/year?
I did buy it from VW Cardiff which is miles away from me and it is not under any warranty now.

Cheers

Stefan

Mileage is 55k

I wouldn't rush to get rid of EGR etc or let any other workshop work on it until the dealer has had the opportunity to rectify, otherwise the dealership will wipe their hands of you.

Did they give you a money back guarantee? when I bought my van through VW Hereford I could return it anytime within two weeks for money back no questions asked if I wasn't happy. They even held my trade in car until the two weeks were up.

The heat and the smell is likely to be the van trying to do a regen to clear the DPF.

I would be onto the dealership you bought it from for a fix, preferably for a new EGR valve (if that is the fault) and make sure all the pipework is the latest or just threatening to return it not fit for purpose. the reason they say its 'approved used' is because they are suppose to check all the van over etc before they sell it.

Straight from VW commerical website: Our Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Approved Used programme gives you the peace of mind that comes from a comprehensive Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Warranty and Roadside Assistance, as well as the reassurance that our experts have performed extensive checks to guarantee it’s ready to hit the road.

Clearly this isn't the case....
This is my ideal way to move forward but with the buying the can 3.5hrs away It’s not so easy to give them the van.

I think I will call Vw assist get them to plug it in then call the dealership in Essex??

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I too have a VW approved used T6 204 DSG, mine's a 2016 and I bought it just before Covid in late 2019.

Mine's had the light on and when plugged in showed some EGR related issues (Gas Recirculation Sensor and Gas Reflow Excessive detected).

What's VW's stance on this? Will they flush it without questions asked? Is there some sort of internal program where they take care of it simply due to model/year?
I did buy it from VW Cardiff which is miles away from me and it is not under any warranty now.

Cheers

Stefan
If it's out of warranty I would be inclined to blank it.

@Dav-Tec is well reviewed and an active forum member...

We rejected a 2019 60k vw approved van brought from a vw main dealer, same issues, warning lights on from leaving the forecourt, was told they would turn off on journey home, they didn’t, we paid for a independent garage to look at van as VW couldn’t look at it for two weeks, we were advised to reject it, called NORWICH VW, “bunch of cowboy liars” and told them to send a driver to pick up the van as we were not going to drive 300 miles to give it back, we lost about £400 in lost insurance, local garage costs fuel etc.
Was ad blue and egr related.and a dodgy diff lock and unroadworthy rear brake pads, basically the van hadn’t been though any checks, still makes me so angry, we went with VW approved thinking the van would be a quality van.

We rejected a 2019 60k vw approved van brought from a vw main dealer, same issues, warning lights on from leaving the forecourt, was told they would turn off on journey home, they didn’t, we paid for a independent garage to look at van as VW couldn’t look at it for two weeks, we were advised to reject it, called NORWICH VW, “bunch of cowboy liars” and told them to send a driver to pick up the van as we were not going to drive 300 miles to give it back, we lost about £400 in lost insurance, local garage costs fuel etc.
Was ad blue and egr related.and a dodgy diff lock and unroadworthy rear brake pads, basically the van hadn’t been though any checks, still makes me so angry, we went with VW approved thinking the van would be a quality van.
I really hope this isn’t the case for us.
We have thought and saved for a long time even considered a new kombi but when this came up with the spec we thought it was perfect!
VW Assist are due out in the morning between 7:30-9:30am see what they say…..

Cheers

Stefan
If it's out of warranty I would be inclined to blank it.

@Dav-Tec is well reviewed and an active forum member...
Totally agree with @CAB

If you bought the van online or over the phone then I believe you are covered by distance selling regulations which do have a 14 day cooling off period.

It might be a useful lever to pull to get them to replace the EGR or they can take the van back. They won’t want the aggro of having to sell the van again as it all costs money and they would have to fix it anyway before selling again.

If you bought the van online or over the phone then I believe you are covered by distance selling regulations which do have a 14 day cooling off period.

It might be a useful lever to pull to get them to replace the EGR or they can take the van back. They won’t want the aggro of having to sell the van again as it all costs money and they would have to fix it anyway before selling again.
This is my next conversation.
If VW Assist can confirm it is a EGR fault I will then be pushing the dealer to replace the EGR unit.
I certainly won’t be travelling back down south they arrange for it to be replaced at my local VW commercial dealer.

Reactions: CAB
This is my next conversation.
If VW Assist can confirm it is a EGR fault I will then be pushing the dealer to replace the EGR unit.
I certainly won’t be travelling back down south they arrange for it to be replaced at my local VW commercial dealer.
I have just had my EGR cooler replaced with no charge, due to same fault, by Beachside VW, as a VW goodwill claim.
Fantastic service from dealer and VW Au. My van bought new in 2018, T30 LWB has full VW service history, 37.000kms and 1.5 years past factory warranty.
The dealer should look after you, if not , go elsewhere.

Back