EGR DIY replacement advice

BlayneKinley

T5.1
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Evening all,

I have done a search on the forum but haven’t uncovered some advice I MIGHT require.

Firstly, I own a 2015 VW T5.1 140bhp 6 speed manual that has covered 38,000 miles. I’ve had my local garage scan the error codes and reset a few times over an 8 month period for a flashing coil light. It only flashes when pulling in 5th & 6th gear around 60/70mph then when it exceeds around 2300rpm it stops flashing and all is good. Doesn’t go into limp mode and the van doesn’t respond any differently other than flash the warning. My local garage tells me the codes indicate insufficient flow through the EGR valve.

I’ve strayed from my post already, I’m considering saving myself a lump of cash by completing the works myself. I have done some research on the normal locations, google and YouTube and found a good video that confirms bolt locations and order of works. Im pretty handy with most tools and DIY jobs so I’m confident in my approach.

A question that I need help and advice on;

In my research I found the EGR valve once installed requires adaptation and also testing via VCDS. I do not own a copy of this but wanted to know if I can drive the van to a local who owns a copy and is willing to assist to have the adaptation and test complete before using the van on longer distances again. My worry is that if I undertaken the works at home the adaptation and test is needed before I can drive the van ANYWHERE meaning it’s on the driveway until a VCDS user can come to the van to complete.

Anyone who can offer some advice or know the answer to my question I would greatly appreciate your input.

I may have the wrong approach and should have these works completed by a professional.

No left the battery connected. The only thing I did after fitting it was top the coolant up, lost a fair bit when I disconnected everything.

@Pauly would you be able to assist me please in ensuring I purchase the correct EGR valve for my van prior to swapping out?

I know I own a T5.1 on the T6 forum but this website is a million times better! Would you be able to find the part number for this EGR or do you only have sources for T6 and newer?

If you could I’d greatly appreciate the help and I’m certain you’d need more info? Engine code?

Back