DVLA and reclassifying a converted campervan

They referred me to tfl! I couldn’t be faffed. I have a photocopy of the original V5 and will take that to court if I’m fined
It’d be so much easier if they just updated it though! Where/how does it show on the V5?

I sent my V5 off after Christmas and in early February I received a letter asking me to complete a couple of forms which didn't seem relevant to my application. I duly completed the stupid forms and also sent a load of pictures.

All I wanted to do is inform the dvla that my vehicle was a 2 seat panel van and it now has 5 seats and windows because the v5 says that's what I should do!

I couldn't give a Sh!7 what my V5 says, so long as my ride remains perfect and I am complying with the rules by updating the dvla with any amendments. It is most odd that the staff at the dvla are so difficult, jobsworth and generally difficult to deal with when you consider that it them that require the amendments!

Does anyone know why this is such a bore to get sorted?

I sent my V5 off after Christmas and in early February I received a letter asking me to complete a couple of forms which didn't seem relevant to my application. I duly completed the stupid forms and also sent a load of pictures.

All I wanted to do is inform the dvla that my vehicle was a 2 seat panel van and it now has 5 seats and windows because the v5 says that's what I should do!

I couldn't give a Sh!7 what my V5 says, so long as my ride remains perfect and I am complying with the rules by updating the dvla with any amendments. It is most odd that the staff at the dvla are so difficult, jobsworth and generally difficult to deal with when you consider that it them that require the amendments!

Does anyone know why this is such a bore to get sorted?
The only reason to care what the V5 says is to remove any wriggle risk room for your insurance company! The rest of it is just what is recorded and one can argue the reality in court!

Why they are such idiots is historical….stems back to why that function was transferred to Swansea!!! The place is riddled with staffing and union issues!

The only reason to care what the V5 says is to remove any wriggle risk room for your insurance company! The rest of it is just what is recorded and one can argue the reality in court!

Why they are such idiots is historical….stems back to why that function was transferred to Swansea!!! The place is riddled with staffing and union issues!
Whole heartedly agree, they can all look for a new job if Scotland and Wales obtain independence.

The DVLA have been unfit for purpose for years. They are continually in one dispute or another. They seem particularly efficient at selling our details to private parking companies though.:mad:

I'm just wondering if anyone has recent experience in trying to reclassifying their converted campervan from a panel Van? Are there any recent success stories? Are DVLA still rejecting most applications if they are not done by conversion companies?

It won’t happen unless it’s converted at first registration and by an approved conversion company. Been there tried everything they won’t reclassify any make of van. There is a thread covering this of many pages.

Eurotunnel now specifically ask you the question..."is your van a campervan?" when booking, whereas before they just relied on the DVLA database. Don't know whether this is just for VW transporters or other makes.

I'm just wondering if anyone has recent experience in trying to reclassifying their converted campervan from a panel Van? Are there any recent success stories? Are DVLA still rejecting most applications if they are not done by conversion companies?
There’s a very long thread elsewhere on here if you use the search function.

But in short, almost impossible now unless done by a converter PRIOR to first registration, AND they have taken the time and expense to get registered to meet requirements, which most haven’t done.

Yes you can technically still do it, but you need to evidence a number of things, including high top roof (a pop top wouldn’t count) windows (not sure where the caravan style part has come from as it wasn’t on the list last time I checked last year), bed, kitchen, decals, awning rail etc, etc. Suffice to say that it’s a high bar and most will come back as “van with windows” even if you make the formal application, as I did. Their main issue is what it looks like from outside.

All seems a bit bizarre to me, as you could have a conversion which mirrors a Cali (and might look identical fom the outside) yet the Cali as it’s first registered by VW ready built would get registered as a motor caravan (simply because they are registered with DVLA) yet the same spec done as a conversion wouldn’t meet the DVLA criteria and would be classed as a van with windows.

Anyway, insurers don’t seem concerned now, which appeared to be an issue previously. Even the M1 vs N1 debate re speed limits doesn’t seem to matter as much now either, as DVLA take the view that as long as you are satisfied that the conversion meets a similar standard as a motor caravan, you can use it as such. So in theory, that extends to the same speed limits.

Yes you may have to evidence this if stopped or sent an FPN, but DVLA seem ok with it and even send a letter to this effect with the updated V5 when it comes back, so if it came to it, you’d just show this, or provide as evidence. I haven’t seen any discussion on here of it actually coming to that on speed limits though….. although this is the point where someone will probably come along and prove me wrong and say that they’ve had a fight over it!

Reactions: CAB

Back