DSG jerking/snagging

veearrsix

VIP Member
I have recently picked up a T5.1 from a salvage auction, unable to test drive it, but went in with my eyes wide open expecting to find 'something'. Looks like the reason it has mades its way there is DSG related (obvs it hasn't been written off because of the gearbox, but whoever owned it probably had an "accident" to get shut of it).

Anyway, like I say, eyes wide open...

So the issue I was having initially is a sharp clunk occasionally when coming off the throttle, approaching a roundabout for example, or when re-applying the throttle coming out of the round about, it could also be triggered when parking, moving front D to R.
The first port of call was replacing the drive shafts, turns out the offside one was absolutely shot, which may mean that the spider gears in the box are shot as well, but one step at a time. This has certainly improved the clunking, I can still feel something, but it's more of a dull thud and it doesn't do it all the time.
Next as it has done a few miles and I don't have any service history, I've carried out a fluid and filter service on the box, whilst it changes smoothly, it just feels a bit "mushy". This is where things look a little strange. I measured the amount of fluid that came out, it was 7L, afaik it should be around 5.5L, it was also a cherry red colour, which I believe is more likely standard ATF fluid. So could this have been done on purpose or by accident by someone who has no idea, it was so close to 7l that it feels deliberate.

So I have refilled with the correct fluid, it took 6L'ish, this didn't really feel like it made any difference, apart from possibly revealing a slight whine at around 50mph in 7th gear. I read that after a fluid change I should also reset the basic settings, I have odbeleven, so I have done that.

This is the actual reason for this post, after doing a basic settings reset, the van is completely un-drivable. I have come across the term 'snagging' as this feels appropriate for what is happening now. Essentially, when I put it into drive, it kind of feels like it is slowly creeping (much slower than it did before, which felt quite aggressive), but as you apply the throttle you now get a violent shunt as it engages, almost like dropping the clutch. It also does this in reverse. I am hoping this is just a case of having to reset something else in the box.

Any ideas?

after doing a basic settings reset
Just double checking - did the basic settings finish correctly (a message in OBDeleven)? How long it took to finish?
Have you looked into "Live Data", e.g. the following:
ENG103827 Clutch 1 adaption basic characteristic range 1 quick adaptions remaining km​
ENG99333 Clutch 1 adaption basic characteristic range 2 quick adaptions remaining km​
ENG102537 Clutch 1 adaption basic characteristic range 3 quick adaptions remaining km​
ENG110529 Clutch 1 adaption kiss point part 1 fault cause​
ENG110528 Clutch 1 adaption kiss point part 1 fault cause cumulative​
ENG110530 Clutch 1 adaption kiss point part 1 fault counter​
ENG110531 Clutch 1 adaption kiss point part 1 remaining quick adaption​
ENG102732 Clutch 2 adaption basic characteristic range 1 quick adaptions remaining km​
ENG101931 Clutch 2 adaption basic characteristic range 2 quick adaptions remaining km​
ENG100136 Clutch 2 adaption basic characteristic range 3 quick adaptions remaining km​
ENG110535 Clutch 2 adaption kiss point part 1 fault cause​
ENG110534 Clutch 2 adaption kiss point part 1 fault cause cumulative​
ENG110536 Clutch 2 adaption kiss point part 1 fault counter​
ENG110537 Clutch 2 adaption kiss point part 1 remaining quick adaption​

I think it took a few minutes to complete, I certainly had a message from obdeleven to say it had completed. I have reset them a second time and during the clunks clicks and whirs from the box once its doing it, the last one seemed so violent I thought it was going to spit the gearbox out the front of the van.

I don't have those live data options within obdeleven, are they vcds?

Ouch, yes the above is from VCDS. Indeed they have been lazy at OBDeleven when naming those - Analysis 1...64 isn't really helpful :devil:
I was expecting the basic settings would take something like 20-30 minutes. I have been along once when VW did it and we took the van for a fairly long ride to run through all the gears.

So when I say the basic settings takes a few minutes, I mean thats how long it takes obdeleven to do its thing. I haven't driven it, as when I tried to pull away there was no drive, then it was as if it dropped the clutch and give me a thump in the back. As I was trying to reverse back into my parking spot it did it in reverse as well. I'm hesitant to actually drive it as where I park it is on a bit of a slope and I need it too be smooth otherwise I won't be able to put it back.

Reactions: mmi
So I have managed to get a fault code out of it now after driving it for a while, essentially I now seem to have no drive:

OBDeleven data log

Date: 2021-07-15 09:42

VIN: WV2ZZZ7HZEHXXXXXX
Car: Volkswagen Multivan
Year: 2014
Body type: VAN
Engine: CCHA 103 kW (140 HP) 2.0 l
Mileage: 311580 KM

---------------------------------------------------------------
02 Transmission

System description: DSG DQ500-7F
Software number: 0BT300045R
Software version: 2244
Hardware number: 0BH927711C
Hardware version: H08
ODX name: EV_TCMDQ500021
ODX version: 001001
Long coding: 0014

Trouble codes:
P176E00 - Clutch 2 opens unintentionally
Intermittent
Malfunction frequency counter: 8

Keep in mind this is all controlled by the mechatronic so although you are having gearbox/clutch issues it could also be the controller that causing it

I know the design of the mechatronic was revised for the T6 and on earlier models the mecha could be drained and refilled (which apparently caused issues) but VW tech told me they are sealed for life now and become a disposable/renewable part

A small update on the gearbox, for anyone who may have similar issues. i removed the mechatronics, swapped out a couple of solenoids, replaced with fresh gearbox oil. Didn't make a blind bit of difference. So off it went to milta for a refurb. Now it works great.

Back