Driving to Austria

Mick

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've done this many times and I'll go via Luxembourg again. But asking the hive mind the following.

I need to be in Hintertux for Saturday night.

Choice 1: What I normally do. Stay in the pub a mile before the Folkestone exit and get the 5:30 train and then slog for 11 hours to Hintertux. or stay in a campsite after 6 hours.

Or

2nd Choice: Get the 7pm -8pm train land Calais 8:30pm - 9:30 chug through Belgium for 3 hours and stop in a service area. But is it safe. Any ideas on where to stop for a few hours kip.

decisions decisions?

The last few years we've had to drive from Leicester to Kent to stay at a site near the tunnel, then leave early the next morning for the train, then into France. The only reason for this was because we were in convoy with my in-laws, and they didn't tend to want to drive for long periods. So going to places like Switzerland, South of France, Portugal and Spain took for ever!

This year we will be going back to Switzerland, (among other places) without the in-laws, but I intend to leave Leicester early, get the train about 10ish, and smash across France to a place we stayed at near Strasbourg, then do the last hit through the mountains the next day, arriving around midday at Camping Aaregg, in Brienz.
I love driving, specially in Europe, but I want to get to my destination rather than spending days at 'stop-off'' sites.

I’m driving From Leicester as well. But I have to work on the Friday.

I’m driving From Leicester as well. But I have to work on the Friday.

Then i'd go for the second option. Battle through Friday hell traffic, get a train across so i'm actually over their, and giving you half hour in the train to relax, then shoot as far as you can handle safely, leaving Saturday to do the last stint.
Either option is going to be a hard slog with such limited time, but for me, I drive all over the UK every day, so i'm used to huge distances, and know my limits.

Oh and i'd be going A26 and A4, avoiding Luxembourg (shaves off 30mins)

Do you use a toll tag? They make life far easier through France in my opinion.

Then i'd go for the second option. Battle through Friday hell traffic, get a train across so i'm actually over their, and giving you half hour in the train to relax, then shoot as far as you can handle safely, leaving Saturday to do the last stint.
Either option is going to be a hard slog with such limited time, but for me, I drive all over the UK every day, so i'm used to huge distances, and know my limits.

Oh and i'd be going A26 and A4, avoiding Luxembourg (shaves off 30mins)

Do you use a toll tag? They make life far easier through France in my opinion.

Yep stopping and having a kip safely in a service area in Belgium is where I'm currently at. But which one is safe lol. Nowt round Brussels that's for sure.

Yep I have a toll tag. I normally stop to fill up at the services in Luxembourg at 90c a litre. Yes I have a tag and the piage is a good option. tag is awesome well worth the effort of you travel through France. Reims - Strasbourg - stuttgart looks a good option but I've never done that route.

Yep stopping and having a kip safely in a service area in Belgium is where I'm currently at. But which one is safe lol. Nowt round Brussels that's for sure.

Yep I have a toll tag. I normally stop to fill up at the services in Luxembourg at 90c a litre. Yes I have a tag and the piage is a good option. tag is awesome well worth the effort of you travel through France. Reims - Strasbourg - stuttgart looks a good option but I've never done that route.
@Mick I’m off to Schladming at the end of the month, arriving Calais at 0100 on a Thursday.

Any tips for rest areas??

@Mick I’m off to Schladming at the end of the month, arriving Calais at 0100 on a Thursday.

Any tips for rest areas??
Depends which way you want too go. I travel to austria 2-3 times a year. I generally go via Luxembourg (through Belgium) which is a 4 hour run and stop at the BP Mamer on the motorway: cos the diesel is a lot cheaper. I paid about €1.20 a litre of premium.

I guess at 1 in the morning you'd be hoping top stop fairly soon. there are a number of service areas you can stay but the Belgium site toilets are rank with sh*t all over the cubicles and stretching to the outside. If you stop at one with a proper service area (restaurant, fuelling station) then you should be good to go. But be aware they are all full of Eastern Europeans which is never a problem but space is sometimes the issue.

Searchforsites is a gem. searchforsites.co.uk I subscribe cos it's well worth it.

I've stopped here at Esquelbecq twice with no issues outside Dunkirk and it should be on your way. Esquelbecq. It is away from Calais and the scum bags in the camps who have robbed more than one motorhome.

Let em know if you need a call.

Depends which way you want too go. I travel to austria 2-3 times a year. I generally go via Luxembourg (through Belgium) which is a 4 hour run and stop at the BP Mamer on the motorway: cos the diesel is a lot cheaper. I paid about €1.20 a litre of premium.

I guess at 1 in the morning you'd be hoping top stop fairly soon. there are a number of service areas you can stay but the Belgium site toilets are rank with sh*t all over the cubicles and stretching to the outside. If you stop at one with a proper service area (restaurant, fuelling station) then you should be good to go. But be aware they are all full of Eastern Europeans which is never a problem but space is sometimes the issue.

Searchforsites is a gem. searchforsites.co.uk I subscribe cos it's well worth it.

I've stopped here at Esquelbecq twice with no issues outside Dunkirk and it should be on your way. Esquelbecq. It is away from Calais and the scum bags in the camps who have robbed more than one motorhome.

Let em know if you need a call.
Cheers Mick, that’s great info.
I had heard similar things about going via Luxembourg, so it’s good to hear some real world advice.
I think I’ve found the BP at Mamar - the one on the A6 here?
CCA6357A-8471-4375-BA89-485FB671A931.png

If that’s four hours from Calais then it might be ideal for a snooze

Cheers,
Adam

Back