Drivers Seat Position And Furniture Behind It..

kn0bby

T6 Guru
Just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem.. I really dislike the driver's seat position with the bulkhead in place, I like the seat back and laying down lol.

The furniture units (fridge pods) appear to be 150mm ish right behind the seat base and the worktop height stops the driver's seat reclining...

Anyone have any experience/ideas?

The company converting my van have just this week built a custom pod to fit behind my drivers captains seat, I got my seat into the most relaxed position I was ever likely to use to drive the van and they built the pod to that.

The tolerances are mm tight, a sliding 150 RIB fits flush to the other side of the pod in its sleeping position and yet the pod still manages to have the kidney shaped SMEV 8821 sink/burner combo, clean and grey water and a 400w 350d 500h storage area beneath plus twin 240 and 12v sockets. It'll even swallow an Outwell Deep Cool 35 fridge/freezer with the water bottles removed.

It's all insanely tight and I know the company have had a bit of a 'mare with what on paper should have been a simple yet bespoke build.

My van is awaiting a final gas/electrical certificate to sign it off and I'll probably do a write up in the next week or so if anyone is interested.

Definitely interested. Out of interest, how tall are you ?

Pete

don't have a pod.. no one cooks or uses a sink inside the van anyway

Huh ? in 12 days I'm driving to Europe for a month, getting back but then returning to the Tirol ski resorts ( wife permitting ), then having a few weeks at home before heading to Scotland and the islands for a couple of weeks let alone all the 3 day weekends in the Dales I'll do if the weather is good. In the middle of nowhere I want to boil water, have hot tea and coffee, make soup, toast, rice, heat a chilli, a pot noodle, omelette...you get the idea. Portable fridge freezer goes to -18 to keep food frozen for weeks if needs be.

I'm going to use it for the reason it was built for me.

Thanks for the replies..

The fridge that is built into the units I am interested in is a Waeco Crx50 Fridge Freezer this goes right behind the drivers seat with a drawer above it. With the drawer above it its about 730mm high and 150mm behind the seat base which really restricts the seat reclining.

The furniture builder is suggesting making the drawer above the fridge smaller with the side panel up to the height of the fridge and then 45 degree panel to allow the sloping seat back against it. It seems to work just might look odd.

My seat in its normal position.. Another problem is where the heater fitter put my hose, probably my fault.

IMG_0885.jpg

knObby have a look at VanGear, had I not have had one made I'd have bought one of theirs, the Nano or Mini.

I went with the Outwell Deep Cool 35 rather than a fixed fridge, it is a fridge/freezer and can fit in a number of places around the van depending on who and what is being carried, gives very flexible use of interior space, fits under the RIB when it's down or on the very handy RIB 'parcel shelf', vents are still clear and on trips when I don't need it then it'll stay in the garage, very very low power use on 12v.

View media item 2210

knObby have a look at VanGear, had I not have had one made I'd have bought one of theirs, the Nano or Mini.

I went with the Outwell Deep Cool 35 rather than a fixed fridge, it is a fridge/freezer and can fit in a number of places around the van depending on who and what is being carried, gives very flexible use of interior space, fits under the RIB when it's down or on the very handy RIB 'parcel shelf', vents are still clear and on trips when I don't need it then it'll stay in the garage, very very low power use on 12v.

View media item 2210

Thank you but I want fixed furniture and a fixed fridge.. My vision is to be at the beach on a winters day sliding door open, sat on the RNR making a cup on tea on my hob.. lol.

Thanks for the replies..

The fridge that is built into the units I am interested in is a Waeco Crx50 Fridge Freezer this goes right behind the drivers seat with a drawer above it. With the drawer above it its about 730mm high and 150mm behind the seat base which really restricts the seat reclining.

The furniture builder is suggesting making the drawer above the fridge smaller with the side panel up to the height of the fridge and then 45 degree panel to allow the sloping seat back against it. It seems to work just might look odd.

My seat in its normal position.. Another problem is where the heater fitter put my hose, probably my fault.

View attachment 35573
It will look fine, I've seen a number of vans with an angled unit behind the drive's seat to allow for it being reclined while maximising the storage.

Back