Drive away awnings---------yay or nay ?

The wish list for the van is growing by the day. My wheels keep getting pushed to the back of the list.....one day I’ll get there.

We're thinking of getting a drive away awning for this year. We've previously done short stop touring and just put up a tarp / shade for short stops but this year we're thinking of going to France for 2 weeks and stopping each week in a different site.
I liked the Galli too but it's too big - and then Vango made the Galli Compact which looks perfect for us - but also expensive.

We're thinking of getting a drive away awning for this year. We've previously done short stop touring and just put up a tarp / shade for short stops but this year we're thinking of going to France for 2 weeks and stopping each week in a different site.
I liked the Galli too but it's too big - and then Vango made the Galli Compact which looks perfect for us - but also expensive.

I think if we got on of the Vango ones I’d go for the compact. There’s only me the Mrs and our Daughter so it’ll be plenty big enough. I’ve just been pricing up an awning rail also. Looking at Reimo Multirail as I presume it’s versatile.

@Chopman I think you should buy one ASAP and do a full review. ;)

First time I've seen this one but I really like the look of it - the porch gives it more versatility than the Kella III. As well as being a better size (for us) it also looks like it fixes one of the problem of the full size Galli, i.e. you can get into the tunnel section from either end meaning you don't have to walk all the way around the awning/van to access the tailgate, etc.

First time I've seen this one but I really like the look of it.

Sounds like there’s a group buy on the cards. If any of you guys spot a great price or deal please let me know.

My Mrs now agrees the compact is better for us too.

Sounds like there’s a group buy on the cards. If any of you guys spot a great price or deal please let me know.

My Mrs now agrees the compact is better for us too.
Jo would kill me if I bought another tent/awning - she keeps nagging me to sell the Karsten tent but I can’t bring myself to let it go even though I know the van means we will most probably never use it again.

This awning is very similar to the Vango Cruz just opposite direction. most places are selling off at about £550 as they have brought at the new model this year Cruz 2.

IMG-20170831-WA0004.jpg

Maybe more confusing....however this is the Outdoor Revolution Movelite 2 (2 person) Driveaway.
Airbeam ...so easy..ish! to put up once practiced.
Has sewn in Groundsheet and fully zipped up doorways all sides.
Attaches to pull out awning using attaching strip.
Easy to driveaway..... and with some practice easy..ish to drive up to!!

This awning is very similar to the Vango Cruz just opposite direction. most places are selling off at about £550 as they have brought at the new model this year Cruz 2.
Yep, very similar size to the Galli but the Galli's front to back design works a lot better to ensure you will fit on just about any standard sized pitch you choose, i.e. the Cruz sticking out 4.2m from the side of the van will take you beyond the maximum unit size of some campsites (particularly those with EHU and/or marked out hard standing).

Does anyone run their diesel/gas heater with the side door open and a drive away awning fitted. From experience with our current caravan, having a little heat going into the awning on cool evenings makes it all feel a little more open and extends the useable space.

Does anyone run their diesel/gas heater with the side door open and a drive away awning fitted. From experience with our current caravan, having a little heat going into the awning on cool evenings makes it all feel a little more open and extends the useable space.
We have done but you have to be wary of wind direction, i.e. our Eberspacher exhaust is on the other side of the van but wind in the wrong direction would blow it straight into the awning.

We have the Vango Cruz which is a good size and has a separate door so you can get into the van without going through the awning. Its also a drive away. Takes 10-15 mins to put up once you've done it a couple of times.(So I'm told).

We have done but you have to be wary of wind direction, i.e. our Eberspacher exhaust is on the other side of the van but wind in the wrong direction would blow it straight into the awning.
Good point, didn't think of that, that's the beauty of the forum.

Good point, didn't think of that, that's the beauty of the forum.
To be fair, I don't know if the fumes would ever get up to a dangerous mix being blown through in this way and, even if they did, with the sliding door open, the alarm in the van would probably tell us first - just the way my mind works though and I always switch the heating off if the wind is blowing straight under the van and we are sat in the awning.

To be fair, I don't know if the fumes would ever get up to a dangerous mix being blown through in this way and, even if they did, with the sliding door open, the alarm in the van would probably tell us first - just the way my mind works though and I always switch the heating off if the wind is blowing straight under the van and we are sat in the awning.
If you're on hook up, could you not run a small electric blower heater ?

If you're on hook up, could you not run a small electric blower heater ?
Yes we do that with the caravan and will have it with us on hookup on longer stays, it's the short breaks and last minute trips for which I was considering if a Wallas would blow enough heat out to take the chill off an awning.

Yes we do that with the caravan and will have it with us on hookup on longer stays, it's the short breaks and last minute trips for which I was considering if a Wallas would blow enough heat out to take the chill off an awning.
You would probably generate more heat yourselves by just zipping yourselves up in the awning :)

Back