Drive away awning catching on sliding door

Candyman

Hi
I‘m new to Transporter camping and have now used my Kampa travel pod air a couple of times. I have encountered a small problem with the sliding door catching on the underside of the Kadar strip and figure of eight tubes. Is this common problem or are some awnings better than others? Thanks in advance for any info.

Normally an awning will come away from the van horizontal or sloping upwards slightly, if your door is catching then sounds like it must be sloping down ?
Not familiar with your model but Have you got the awning fully up and supported correctly so it’s not sitting low ?

What rail are you using? Sometimes mine will snag on my reimo multi rail. Try adjusting the awning where its pegged down close to the van sides. Need a bit of slack.

Slight thread hijack (but possibly related) after the initial pitch of a drive away set up, how do you get the van back in the optimum place?

I was thinking of using my building line pegs and hammering in where the tyre meets the ground!

Any suggestions or am I overthinking it?

(you know what its like on a camp site - you soon get an audience of beer swilling hecklers :) )

Slight thread hijack (but possibly related) after the initial pitch of a drive away set up, how do you get the van back in the optimum place?

I was thinking of using my building line pegs and hammering in where the tyre meets the ground!

(you know what its like on a camp site - you soon get an audience of beer swilling hecklers :) )

Was doing just that using spare guide ropes to mark vans position. This is the trouble if you don't have a wind out awning, you need to be bang on. Give up on drive away awning for now and just using a pop up sun room.

I’ve just had this made…it’s allow +/- 500mm ….it takes the awning tunnel further away from vehicle ( might help with sliding door issue) and additional poles required if needed…. So will try out at Sibbertoft …but theory… connect awning/ van / adaptor.. use straps to to adjust tension …poles to allow for any height difference and any sag…

9BC388B8-B65D-475B-9771-D6816D0F3D8E.jpeg
ps Arriving at Sibbertoft Thursday…hope no audience …:laugh:

Just thinking it through, if you peg a guide rope line down the drivers side, you can open the door to check positioning as you manoeuvre in. My initial thought was to mark it on the side of the awning for which you would need an assistant to guide you in or lots of getting in and out!

I use the same idea as Paynewright. Before I leave for the day, I push a mushroom groundsheet peg in by the centre of each wheel on the driver's side. When I return, it is "just" a matter of positioning the van again. The round head will do no damage if it is is driven over and it doesn't attract attention while one is away. Unfortunately this also makes them easy to leave them behind when moving on.

Mushroom-Pegs-Plastic-Pegs.png

I’ve just had this made…it’s allow +/- 500mm ….it takes the awning tunnel further away from vehicle ( might help with sliding door issue) and additional poles required if needed…. So will try out at Sibbertoft …but theory… connect awning/ van / adaptor.. use straps to to adjust tension …poles to allow for any height difference and any sag…

View attachment 123089
ps Arriving at Sibbertoft Thursday…hope no audience …:laugh:
that looks a great idea. had a similar idea in my head last year, good to see you've created it.

Guys, thanks for your comments. The Trip Air is quite a low awning so that's probably something to do with it. I suppose if your van has been lowered it helps - mine is lowered but only by 30mm. I am getting a Vango Galli 3 poled awning (they have just come into stock apparently) so I'll see how I get on with that. The Galli has the big advantage that it seems to be just like a normal tent when the the van is detached and hence more stable. I wasn't prepared to leave the Trip Air when winds got up to 40mph as the remaining slab side looked very much like a wind catcher. My rail is a Reimo BTW.

Back