Drive Away Awning Issue

AndyNichs

T6 Pro
So I've got a T6 with an awning rail. I attach the kadar strip and then the figure of eight, followed by the awning, but I keep finding the awning sliding off either one end or the other when I try to pitch it? Is it just me and am I doing something wrong? How do people attach their awning rails? I've tried using the awning rail clips but they don't sit right?

People make it look so easy on videos, I think I may be missing something?
Thanks

Is it the awning sliding out of the figure of eight, or the figure of eight sliding off, or the Kadar strip coming out of the van rail ?

On our van, only the Kadar strip is held in place. It’s the awning pitched securely that keeps everything else in place.

Pete

The kadar strip stays in place as it can't move any further down the van rail. It's both the figure of eight and the actual awning that slides out. It's like I need something to stop it from moving, like a clamp or a wedge but can't find anything.

You shouldn’t need anything. How is your awning secured to the ground - the guy ropes out the sides should stop the awning from moving significantly.

Pete

I've got the Vango cove air II awning. Sorry no pictures, I should have taken some at the weekend. It's not really a problem once it's up, it's more an issue trying to position it when I'm putting it up. It just seems to move around a lot and I end up having to attach it again and again...

Once you have done it once and know roughly the position of it relative to the van (I use a marker stick for the distance) then I find pegging the corners before you inflate it will make sure everything stays in the right place OK

Looking at some old posts, I'm thinking this might be the solution? Maybe drill a hole in the end, then cable tie it to stop the awning from falling out?

Screenshot_20220503-224317.jpg

So I've got a T6 with an awning rail. I attach the kadar strip and then the figure of eight, followed by the awning, but I keep finding the awning sliding off either one end or the other when I try to pitch it? Is it just me and am I doing something wrong? How do people attach their awning rails? I've tried using the awning rail clips but they don't sit right?

People make it look so easy on videos, I think I may be missing something?
Thanks
738766B1-CB96-4B42-AF26-476E52DE9DAF.jpeg
I found these on Amazon( had to buy the longer
eye bolts for clearance) they cure the problem of the Kadar strip sliding out. This doesn’t cure the figure of eight strip moving but another post recommends small tyraps which could possibly be used with the eye bolts and carabiners. Still work in progress for me!

So I ended up drilling little holes in my figure 8 pole and attaching them together with cable ties (as above). This stopped the poles from coming apart! To stop the awning falling off either end, I put an eye bolt on the end of the rail attached to the van and then another one the end of the figure 8 pole (both ends). I then attached a carabiner on the 2 of them and that seemed to stop the awning from sliding out. Probably over engineered but until I get used to putting it up, it'll do for me...

View attachment 182111
I found these on Amazon( had to buy the longer
eye bolts for clearance) they cure the problem of the Kadar strip sliding out. This doesn’t cure the figure of eight strip moving but another post recommends small tyraps which could possibly be used with the eye bolts and carabiners. Still work in progress for me!
I found that if you stop the awning moving the kador and the figure of 8 stay put without the need for any fixings or stoppers

Here's a post of mine from last year. I think the figure 8 is still very cheap but I've no idea on current shipping costs (but without gaps between the pieces it did solve the leaking issue and I can stow it easily and safely in the van by sliding it down the side of the bed and along the furniture to stop behind the drivers seat ):
Well after a bit of trying, I've managed to source a single (2.4M) length of Figure 8 at a decent price. I've been searching on and off for a while but every option that I found involved paying a lot of money to ship a £10-15 piece of plastic because it was so long. Anyway, yesterday morning i did a more thorough search and made a few phone calls. The first firm quoted £32 to ship a £14 item, the second quoted £40 for the same thing (at £12.50) and the third £80 (but they did have the good grace to apologise profusely!). In the end, I found another firm who only wanted £12.50 to post the £12 strip. I placed the order on-line and it all went through but I half expected to get a message cancelling the order as they had made a mistake. Instead I got a delivery notification telling me that it would arrive via FedEx before 1800hrs today and the Fedex tracking system confirms that it's on it's way. I just hope that it solves the leaking issues and that I can find a way to stow it in the van (but I have got a few ideas about that). I'll report back after we've had a chance to use it but, in the meantime, if anybody else is interested (@Mud Digger?) here it is:

Back